Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The One With The Recipes

Aside from the small turkey dilemma I had with the roaster oven, all of the other Thanksgiving dishes that I made last week went really well.  Thank goodness!


I fixed up some traditional mashed potatoes and gravy (a must-have for my tater lovin' man) and green beans, but some of other new dishes we had turned out really well, so I thought I'd share them here with you.


I convinced Nathan to let me make homemade stuffing -- he prefers the boxed stuff, but I just can't stomach it.  I found this great little stuffing recipe over on Our Best Bites, and I really enjoyed it!  Nathan wasn't a fan of the sausage, so next year I might try subbing turkey or chicken in its place.  I thought the sausage gave it a really great flavor, but marriage is all about compromise, right? ;)


Italian Sausage Stuffing -- Our Best Bites

 
  • 1 lb Italian Sausage, casings removed 
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple, shredded (I did this in my food processor)
  • 1 bag Pepperidge Farm Original stuffing 
  • 2 1/2 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped
  • 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1/2 c. Golden Raisins (or dried cranberries)
  • **You can also add in mushrooms and pecans -- the original recipe calls for these, but we left them out of ours
  1. Start by cooking your sausage.  As it browns, add in celery, onion and garlic.  Once the sausage is cooked, drain off grease if necessary. 
  2. Once onions are translucent, stir in apple, stuffing cubes and chicken broth.  Once the stuffing is absorbed and everything is heated through, transfer to a casserole dish.
  3. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes -- cook 10 minutes covered with foil, and then 10 minutes uncovered.
Another side dish I made was homemade rolls.  We actually ended up eating these after dinner because they hadn't risen enough beforehand, but once they were done, they were delicious.  I love the wheat flavor, and the cottage cheese gives these rolls a big dose of protein!

Wheat {Protein-Packed} Dinner Rolls -- Welbeilt Bread Machine Recipe Book

 
Put all ingredients in your bread machine in the following order:
*Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature
  • 6 TBSP water
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 TBSP honey
  • 1 1/2 c. cottage cheese, undrained
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 c. whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
Run the dough cycle, and let the bread machine do its thang!
  1. At the end of the program, remove dough and place on a floured surface.  Let rest for 5 minutes.
  2. Divide dough into 12 equal portions.  Roll each piece into a ball, and place in a lightly greased 9-inch baking dish.  Cover with a clean cloth, and place in a warm spot.  Let rise for 30 minutes.
  3. Glaze tops of rolls with egg white and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

And last but not least, what would Thanksgiving be without a yummy warm dessert??  This year I strayed away from pumpkin, pecan and apple and went with something rich and decadent . . .


Individual Chocolate Lava Cakes -- KitchenAid Mixer Recipe Book

 *Makes 6 cakes
  
Chocolate Centers:
  • 1/2 bar (2 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  1. Melt chocolate and creamer in a double boiler.  Whisk gently to blend.
  2. Refrigerate 2 hours, or until firm.
  3. Once firm, roll into 6 small balls.  Refrigerate until needed.
Cake:
  • 1 bar (4 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. cake flour
  1. Spray 4-inch ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.
  2. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler; whisk gently to blend.
  3. Place eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla in stand mixer.  Attach wire whip and turn speed to 6 - mix for 5 minutes or until thick and light.
  4. Fold melted chocolate and flour into egg mixture until combined.
  5. Divide among prepared ramekins.  Place 1 chocolate ball in the center of each filled ramekin.
  6. Bake 15 minutes or until cake is firm.  Let sit 5 minutes.
  7. Serve with fresh whipped cream, or ice cream . . . or, if you're like us, both! :)



This year I learned my lesson that Thanksgiving dinner is not for the faint of heart!  Next year, if my family is out of town and it's the one-man show again, I think I'll opt for turkey breasts instead of cooking an entire bird. :)


5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about trying those chocolate lava cakes!! AHH! I love those in restaurants so I'll have to be making those soon. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!! THose rolls... and those cakes. Too bad I can't have a cooking/baking date with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By your post titles, I have a feeling you watch 'Friends,' which makes me excited! The cake (and everything else) looks delish! My comments haven't been posting lately, so if you commented on my blog and didn't get a response, that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Rachel, All of your recipes look fabulous! I really love the stuffing recipe. I'm so glad your dinner went well, or as well as can be expected. I've been making Thanksgiving dinner for almost 30 years and something always goes a little wrong!
    As always, I am so proud of you! Did Nathan like the stuffing?
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I love the lava cakes idea - must.try! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel