Saturday, November 27, 2010

The One About The Turkey

I'm still in my pajamas at 9:15, laying in the bed with my laptop.  I'm not sick, I'm just now coming out of my two-day food coma.  Can anyone relate?  Anyone?  Did I mention there's the slightest dusting of snow outside my window, too?  This makes me even more lazy.  I may or may not get dressed and take a shower today.  It's all determined on whether the snow will melt or not.  

Since Nathan's at work and I'm feeling ever so lethargic, I thought I'd do a quick recap of our 2nd Thanksgiving.  This year we did things a little differently.  My parents were in Alabama visiting family this year, which means Nathan and I had Thanksgiving just the two of us.  He had to work until 6 PM on Thanksgiving, so I spent the day cooking/baking/fighting with the turkey. 

Speaking of the turkey, this year I downsized and got a 16-pounder.  Me and him still had words.  His frozen neck was bound and determined not to come out, and I was bound and determined not to repeat the Giblet incident of '09.  After much struggling and persuading (yes, I eventually resorted to talking to the bird) I finally got the neck out.  Rachel=1, Turkey=0.

Then it came time to cook the thing.  Since my mom was away this year, she so graciously offered to lend me her roaster oven so that I could free up the space in my stove.  I've never used one of these before, but it's basically like a Crock Pot on steroids.  I plopped the bird inside, and turned it to the appropriate heat setting.  I had it set up in our dining room so that I could free up my counter space.  Within 10 minutes the dining room was full of smoke, and I smelled burnt bird.  Rachel=1, Turkey=5.

I'm not sure what went wrong with the roaster oven, but I wasn't going to let the bird sit in there any longer.  (Luckily, only the tips of the wings were burning after I investigated it more.) So, I made a mad dash to the only grocery store open in our small town and grabbed a disposable pan and some oven bags, came home and cooked it the way I did last year.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

  By the time Nathan got home, it looked something like this . . . 

 
 And hubby did a little of this . . .


And me and the bird made a truce.  All was right and well with the Atwood turkey in the end.  And I even managed to get the burnt smell out of the dining room before Nathan got home!

To be continued . . . 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yay you won the battle with the turkey. Girl, we get a great restaurant to fry ours. They are delicious but I made all the other stuff this year. Thanksgiving is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you won over the turkey!! That bird looks yummy.

    We did tons of baking this weekend -- so I can relate to the food coma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for you! Those turkeys can be so temperamental. It looks good - glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You won! I'm so glad and I hope you two had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel