Friday, November 19, 2010

The Living Room Gets a Small Update . . .

I've already expressed on the blog my love for all things Christmas Tree Shop.  It's a big store about a half hour from us that has so many cheap and fun decorating items.  Let the name of the store fool you not!  They do have Christmas items, but most of their items are just common every day decor.  

During my last trip to The Christmas Tree Shop, I had a great time!  I found several cheap, small items to give our living room a fresh new look.  For the past several months, I’ve been looking for some new throw pillows for our couch and loveseat.  The pillows that we had on the couch before were the original ones that came with the set, and over time I’ve realized how dark they make the room look.  Not to mention, that after 1 year of couch cuddling with the hubs, all of the pillows are a bit flat.   These new pillows set me back $6.99 each, which may not sound like a great deal, but everywhere I looked these were costing $10.99-$15.99/each.  Thank you, Christmas Tree Shop!

Here’s the dark, matchy-matchy Before:

 And here’s the lighter, more fun and less boring (in my opinion) After:
 I’ve already called dibs on that cream pillow—it’s the softest thing I’ve ever felt. 

Here's the loveseat...

One other area in the living room I've been dying to tackle is the large blank wall next to the couch.  I've been back and forth with what to put there for . . . well, since we moved in.  Since we already have the artwork over the couch, we knew another art piece would simply be too much.  I debated on floating shelves, but that would require knick knacks to be put on them, and I’m just not much of a knick knack person.  Plus, who like dusting one more shelf?

I finally decided a few months back that I wanted to put some family pictures there.  We don’t have a lot of family pictures in the house, so I thought it would make the room look more personal and lived-in and less like one of those nobody-lives-here rooms from the JCPenny catalog.   I found the perfect collage frame from The Christmas Tree Shop for $12.99.  

I filled it with photos of Nathan and I, and photos of our families.  I also printed out a cute little “A” to put in the center to break up all those photos.  The thing I love most about doing frames on this wall is that they are totally versatile!  Whenever we get new photos, we can just do a little switcheroo and we get a whole new look!

Here's the room after switching out the pillows and hanging our frame . . . 

The frame looks really small on this big wall, so I may put up some candle sconces I have or purchase some additional frames to go beside it.  What do you think?  Should I add more frames, or should I add candle sconces?  Or, should I just leave well enough alone?  I'm having a hard time deciding.

Little projects like this are small, but it's amazing how big of a difference they make (or at least they do to me!).  I like the fact that I was able to brighten the couch, and make the room more personal just by purchasing a few small items.  


4 comments:

  1. I wish we had that store here : (
    But what great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!! Makes me want to decorate :) Maybe some smaller frames? Or, maybe some shelves.... this makes me realize I have no idea what I'm doing when I decorate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that brown and off-white print pillow - I'm looking for something like that to spruce up my guest room. I'm not sure what color to add - decorating decisions always wear me out HA
    Love pictures on wall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a cool store! =] I love shopping for the house!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel