Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gratituesday: Still Small Voices

Every Tuesday leading up to Thanksgiving, I'm joining in with Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers for what she calls Gratituesday.  If you're grateful for something, pop on over and link up with her blog today!

Today's Gratituesday may seem odd, but I was so grateful for this little "aha" moment after it happened. . .

Last week, I faced a disappointment.  There was something I really wanted.  I prayed about it, told God what I wanted, and then just left the rest to Him.  But when the good news didn’t come, I was disappointed.  I was on my way home one night after struggling with my feelings all day, and I felt the enemy trying to sneak his way in.

You didn’t get what you wanted because you aren’t good enough . . .

You should’ve known better than to get excited about this opportunity, it was bound to never work out in your favor . . .

No one likes you, and you may as well go eat worms . . .

OK, so maybe the enemy didn’t say that last one, but he was sure throwing some silly sounding stuff my way.  However, in the midst of my disappointment, I heard a still, small voice speaking to my heart. . .

Rachel, this has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with My Will.

I paused my thoughts and allowed that truth to come in and settle me down.  My racing, negative, insecure thoughts vanished and I realized that this particular disappointment didn’t need to be disappointing at all. 

As a Christian, it’s God’s Will I want after all, not my own.  So when God says no (or wait, or yes, or not yet), even though at first it can be disappointing, I should realize that He has something so much better in His plan if I will just wait

I'm grateful for this truth today, and I've decided from now on, when disappointment comes, I'm going to try and not let the enemy whisper false lies to me.  Instead, I'll say to myself, "This has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with God's will!"

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still" - Exodus 14:14

"Those who hope in me will not be disappointed." - Isaiah 49:23

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that your "good news" didn't come as you expected :( But, what you've said is so entirely true!! God's will is even better, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing and thank you for sharing that ray of sunshine :) I will try to think those words also when I begin to doubt myself! I love you Rachel Leah!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good perspective! Isn't God good to love on us and reassure us when we need it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel