Sunday, November 7, 2010

Best-Ever Carrot Cake + Week of Nov. 8 Menu Plan

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming today to wish a very special lady a very happy birthday!
This weekend, Nathan and I were invited to my parents to celebrate my mom's 51st birthday.  My dad fixed up a feast good enough for a king!  We had steaks, baked potatoes, salad and beans.  I'm still drooling over the steaks.  The man knows how to grill, I tell ya'.  

We had a great time celebrating with my mom.

Thank you mom, for always being there for me!  Your kind spirit, encouraging words and silly sense of humor made for a very memorable childhood.  You are the best mom a girl could ask for!  And thank you for loving dad . . . you two truly are a picture of Christ's unconditional love, and a great role model for a fun, loving and Godly marriage.  I'm so thankful for the special bond we share.  I love you!  
***
For the party, I was asked to bring the bread and dessert.  I opted to make Better Homes and Gardens Best-Ever Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (with a name like that, how can you go wrong?!?).  It was especially moist, and the cinnamon really took it over the top.  I put a lot of love in the frosting, and it made for a special dessert for my mom's party.

Best-Ever Carrot Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting -- BHG Pink Edition Cookbook
 


  • 4 beaten eggs
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 c. finely shredded carrots (I got them to the right consistency by throwing them in my food processor and putting it on "grind")
  • 3/4 c. cooking oil

  1.  Allow eggs to stand at room temp. for 30 mins.  Meanwhile, grease 2 round cake pans and set aside.
  2. In a large mixing  bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda
  3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, carrots, and oil.  Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until combined.  Pour batter into prepared pans.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Prepare frosting.
  4. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely.

For the frosting . . .
  • 1 (8 oz) pack cream cheese, softened
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 5 3/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
  1. Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
  2. Gradually add 2 cups of the sugar, beating well.
  3. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. 
One little trick the cook book recommended was placing small pieces of wax paper underneath the edges of the cake when you're frosting it.  This helps to keep the plate underneath clean and frosting-free!  It was a great tip!  Once you're done frosting, just pull out the pieces of wax paper and throw away.



 

This week, we're rolling over the Chicken Tortilla Soup from last week (we never got to make it), and we're trying out a few new recipes.  Here's hoping all goes well! :)

Monday: Chicken Tortilla Soup (I'm going to try this in the Crock Pot this time around and see how it does.  I'll keep you posted!)
Tuesday: Copy Cat Paris Bistro Sandwiches (*new*) w/ Tomato Soup
Wednesday: Vegetable Lasagna (*new*)
Thursday: Leftover Night
Friday: Out w/ Friends
Saturday: Pesto and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken (*new*) w/ veggies
 
Don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for Menu Plan Monday.  Lots of great menus are posted each week.
 
Blessings for you this Monday!




2 comments:

  1. What a fun time with your mom for her birthday!!! It is such a blessing to have loving and supportive parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I've never had carrot cake before! But the cake looks awesome and I'm sure everyone loved it. =]

    Your meal plan for this week sounds really good. I'd love to hear more about the vegetable lasagna!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel