Wednesday, November 17, 2010

All About Spinach

I have so many recipes that Nathan and I have tried and enjoyed in the past few weeks that I have been meaning to share with you.  I could offer up many excuses, but the fact of the matter is . . .I've just been lazy when it comes to blogging about our food lately.  It's my personal goal this week to post some of these delicious recipes.  After all, good recipes should be shared, in my opinion. 

Another one of my personal goals this week is to go through my Gmail inbox.  I can't for the life of me understand why it drives Nathan nuts to see 100+ e-mails in my inbox. ;)

The following recipes all contain . . . you guessed it - Spinach.  I almost always have this freezer staple in my kitchen (along with jarred pasta sauce and noodles), so these can be whipped up in no time!

Enjoy!

Spinach Ravioli Lasagna -- My Recipes

  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, OR 6 oz. fresh spinach (we used frozen, so if you do that make sure you thaw and drain it thoroughly)
  • 1/3 c. pesto sauce (we used Classico Traditional Basil Pesto)
  • 1 (15 oz.) jar Alfredo sauce (or I'm sure you could make your own if you have the time)
  • 1 (25 oz.) frozen cheese-filled ravioli (do not thaw)
  • 1/4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Toss spinach with pesto.
  2. Combine Alfredo sauce and broth.  Spoon 1/2 of the sauce mixture into a lightly greased 2.2 qt. or 11- x 7-inch baking dish.  Top with half of spinach mixture.  Arrange half of ravioli in a single layer over spinach mixture.  Repeat layers once.  Top with remaining Alfredo sauce.
  3. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Bake 5 more minutes or until bubbly.

Crock Pot Chicken Spinach Soup - SnoWhite


 We loved this recipe for 3 main reasons: 1.) You throw everything in the Crock Pot (even the frozen chicken) and go!; 2.) It's delicious and healthy; 3.) It's a perfect dish for 2 people - we had enough leftovers for 2 lunches (unlike a lot of soup recipes that make a batch so big you're eating on it for a week!)
  • 1/2 c. onion, diced (I sauteed mine with the garlic in a pan with olive oil before putting them in the Crock Pot)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large frozen chicken breasts
  • 2 c. chicken broth
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can Great White Northern Beans
  • 5 oz. frozen spinach (you can make a yummy Warm Spinach Salad with the remaining 5 oz!)
  1. Throw it all in the Crock Pot on Low for 8 hours. 
                                                Look at all those yummy veggies!

Vegetable Lasagna - Better Homes & Gardens Pink Edition Cookbook



*I halved the recipe and put this in my 8x8 dish to make a smaller, 2-4 person lasagna.  If you want to feed more, feel free to double the below recipe.

It looks like a lot of ingredients, but chances are you have everything on hand!
  • 8 or 9 lasagna noodles
  • 1 egg,  beaten
  • 1 c. cottage cheese
  • 1/2 (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 c. mushrooms, sliced (if desired-we left these out)
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 TBSP flour
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 + 1/8 c. milk
  • 5 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
  • 5 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
  • 1/2 c. shredded carrots (your food processor makes this really easy! :)
  • 1.5 oz. Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  1. Cook lasagna noodles, drain and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta and Italian seasoning.  Set aside.
  3. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms (if applicable), onions and garlic in hot oil until tender.  Stir in flour and pepper; add milk all at once.  Cook and stir until slightly thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the spinach, carrots, broccoli and 3/4 of the Parmesan cheese.  It will start to look like this . . .

4. Start layering your lasagna in this order - Noodles, cottage cheese mixture, vegetable mixture, Mozzarella.  Repeat twice. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.

5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until heated through.


4 comments:

  1. Rachel, My family loves spinach too. Your spinach ravioli lasagna looks divine. I'm making this easy recipe next week. Look for it on SG Menu with a link back to this post.
    Auntie Yvonne says hi to Nathan, too!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We love spinach and I made spinach lasagna the other night - it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling I could get Corey to eat the ravioli dish - I love spinach, and he probably wouldn't even know what was in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea for spinach :) Glad you enjoyed the soup -- your photos are making me want to put it on our menu again!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel