Thursday, October 28, 2010

What To Do With Just a Smidgen of Pumpkin

A few weeks back, I shared with you my love for all things pumpkin.  I made some yummy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread, and my now new favorite Fall Pancakes.  You would think two loaves of bread, and 10 pancakes later that all of my pumpkin would be gone, but I did have a little smidgen left. 

You see, I have issues with throwing out food.  Even if there’s only 3 tablespoons left of something, I’ll keep it.  It’ll either sit and go bad in the refrigerator and I’ll be forced to throw it out because it starts growing hair, or I’ll somehow, someway, find a recipe that calls for just a smidgen of whatever it is I have stored in my fridge, and I’ll be able to use it!  It’s a happy day in my kitchen when I get to use the smidgen leftovers. :)

It was a happy day when I got to use up the last little smidgen of pumpkin.  I spied this pumpkin muffin recipe over at Annie’s Eats and I just knew I had to make them.  For my own sanity and well-being, I just had to.  These weren’t just any ole’ pumpkin muffins though.  These were cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins with a crumbly cinnamon topping.  Whoa.

After I ate 2 fresh out of the oven, I froze the other 10 and have been eating them for breakfast the past few weeks.  It makes for the perfect fall treat!

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins -- Annie's Eats


**Prep work: (This will be the cream cheese center) 
Take 4 ounces of softened cream cheese, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar -- mix together until blended and smooth.  Transfer to plastic wrap, and shape cream cheese into a 1 1/2-inch log.  Wrap cream cheese log up in the plastic wrap and place into the freezer for about 2 hours, or until slightly firm.
**Makes 12 muffins (I halved the original recipe to make 12, so feel free to double if you want 24!)

Muffins:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. of each: cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and baking soda (Annie's recipe also called for 1 tsp cloves and 1 tbsp + 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, but I left these out and they still tasted great and had plenty of pumpkin flavor)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 c. + 1/8 c. vegetable oil
Topping:
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 1/2 TBSP. flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 TBSP. unsalted, cold butter cut into pieces
Although it seems like a lot of work, you won't regret it!
  1. After your cream cheese has firmed for two hours, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  
  2. Combine all of your dry muffin ingredients except the sugar.  Whisk until combined.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the wet muffin ingredients + the sugar.  Blend with a mixer until  well combined.  
  4. With the blender on LOW, add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined.
  5. For the topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl and stir to combine.  Add in the butter pieces and cut in with a fork to combine.  The topping should resemble a crumbly apple crisp topping. Set aside until ready to use.
To assemble:
1. Fill each muffin tin with just enough batter to cover the bottom


2. Slice your cream cheese log into 12 round discs (mine looked more like blobs).  
Place 1 disc/blob in each muffin tin.


3. Pour remaining batter on top of the cream cheese.

4. Sprinkle a small amount of crumbly cinnamon topping on each muffin

Bake for 20-25 minutes and allow to cool completely 



3 comments:

  1. those look great to me!

    I am with you about food waste -- we do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound amazing! And I do the exact same thing with food. I have so many containers of food in my fridge waiting to be eaten because I can't stand throwing things out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice surprise in the middle! Can't wait to try these.

    Also, I HATE to waste things and it makes me feel much better putting it in the fridge and throwing it away two weeks (or longer) later. Too bad, we couldn't have a "leftover exchange" HA

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel