Monday, October 18, 2010

Marital Monday + Oct. 17 Menu Plan


Last Monday, I shared with you how different Nathan and I were based on a Spiritual Gifts test we recently took at our church.  A few days after we took that test, Nathan and I were having some candid conversation, and our relationship experienced a breakthrough.  


Have you and your spouse ever experienced one of these?  You'll be having a conversation and suddenly a light bulb goes off for both of you, and you realize . . .Wow!  I've been interpreting that completely different than you!


Our breakthrough came from a topic centered around Criticism vs. Curiosity.  Nathan is a very curious person.  He asks a lot of questions (hence, why he knows so much about so many different things).  This personality trait about him normally never bothers me.  In fact, it's a trait that I really love about him.  Except when it comes to things about me.  For example, if I'm in the kitchen cooking and Nathan comes in and asks, "What's in that?" I usually take his curiousness as criticism because in my mind, when he asks that question, I hear, "That doesn't look very good.  I'm not going to like eating that."  Another example is if I'm getting ready in the morning and Nathan asks, "Are you going to wear that to work?"  To me, this question sounds like, "What you're wearing is ugly.  I sure hope you don't plan on leaving the house like that." 


It may sound silly, and I don't for the life of me know why I've taken his curiousness towards me as criticism, but when we actually sat down and talked it out, we both saw each other's point of view and had a breakthrough moment.  I saw that 99% of the time, he is just curious. He saw how his questions could come off as criticism to me.  And we both laughed about it afterwards, and made an agreement to take things as they are and not read into them too much.  It just goes to show that what we hear may not actually be what's being said.


I love when Nathan and I have these moments because I know they are strengthening us as a couple.  I also know they help us get things out in the open instead of harboring things up inside.  And that makes my Communications major heart leap! :)




This week, I had my hopes set on buying a ham, cooking it on Monday and eating it throughout the week.  I ended up changing my menu plan at the last minute on Saturday night when I discovered after going to the grocer that hams ain't cheap.  These peeps wanted $12 for a 2-pound ham!  Is that normal?!?  If so, I now realize why we only ate ham on Christmas when I was a tot.  


This is our ham-less menu for the week . . .


Monday: Zucchini Pizza
Tuesday: Spinach Ravioli Lasagna
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Nathan and my parents are taking me out for my birthday! 
Friday: Hash Brown Casserole w/ Bacon, Onions and Cheese
Saturday: TBD


Have a blessed Monday!  And, don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie where you can find tons of menu ideas posted each week for Menu Plan Monday!





3 comments:

  1. I've found myself doing the exact same thing with my husband in the past! I wonder if it's a girl thing for us to read more into what people say. I've not been thinking to much of those things lately because he never actually means it the way I take it. =] It's hard though and it's great that you guys talk things out like that.

    Your meal plan looks great. I really would like some of that hash brown casserole! =] I looove hashbrowns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum,zucchini pizza sounds good right about now. I have never made that before!

    I am enjoying the visit to your blog, and I hope you'll come by to Free 2 Be Frugal sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny about the ham! I agree -- I buy it when it's on sale and stock up because the price is crazy otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel