Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Italian Pot Roast w/ Tortellini Side Dish

Sometime a few weeks back, Nathan wanted me to make up some pot roast.  Around here, our meats normally consist of chicken and turkey (if I can sneak it in place of ground beef).  Of course, I do have to buy ground beef.  The man needs his beef.  If I return from the grocery store with less than 6 pounds of beef, Nathan starts to worry that he might not have enough beef to make his infamous Hamburger Helper.  It’s been a growth opportunity for me to not take it personally when he ooo’s and ahhh’s over his Hamburger Helper more than he does a homemade meal made by his sweet wifey. :) 

When Nathan requested this pot roast dish, I jumped at the opportunity to buy a meat that we normally don’t purchase, and cook up a dish I’ve never made.  I have made Beef Stew, but never pot roast, so I scoured the Internet for some good recipes and stumbled upon this interesting version of pot roast from Southern Living. 

The verdict?  It was especially delicious!!  I added in a few more veggies than they had in the recipe, and it made for a hearty, flavorful roast!

Italian Pot Roast w/ Tortellini Side Dish -- Southern Living


I'll start with the side dish, because it's super easy to make!
Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 c. diced zucchini 
  • 1 c. frozen sweet peas
  • 1/2 c. diced onion
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • Tortellini (preferably cheese-filled) -- you'll need 1 bag
  • 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan
  • 1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped (if you have it--I substituted a hearty sprinkling of dried Italian seasoning instead)
  1. Start cooking your tortellini.  Meanwhile, sauté your veggies in olive oil until they're nice and tender.  
  2. Toss the tortellini with the veggies and olive oil, and then add the Parmesan cheese and basil (or seasonings).  Eat while it's nice and warm! :)

For the pot roast . . . 
Here's what you'll need:
  • 1  (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1  large sweet onion, cut in half and sliced
  • 1  (3- to 4-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
  • 1  teaspoon  pepper
  • 2  tablespoons  olive oil
  • 1  (1-oz.) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1  (14-oz.) can beef broth
  • 1  (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1  teaspoon  dried Italian seasoning
  • 2  tablespoons  cornstarch
  • Carrots (I just threw in a handful of baby carrots, but you could dice up 1 large carrot if you don’t have those on hand)
  • 3 medium-sized potatoes, chopped (I left the skin on because…well, who has time to peel potatoes?)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  1. I started off my sautéing my onions and shrooms in a skillet with some olive oil.  I may have put in a little garlic too…I can’t remember.  Garlic never hurts anything!
  2. Place onions and shrooms in bottom of your Crock Pot.  Plop the roast right on top of the shroom-onion mixture.
  3. Sprinkle onion soup mix over roast; pour beef broth and tomato sauce over roast.  If you’re adding all those other yummy veggies, throw those in now. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
  4. Transfer roast to a cutting board; cut into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat. Keep roast warm.
  5. Skim fat from juices in slow cooker; stir in Italian seasoning. Stir together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to juices in slow cooker, stirring until blended. Increase slow cooker heat to HIGH. Cover and cook until mixture is thickened. Throw the roast back in for a few seconds to get all warmed up together.



Enjoy!
 

12 comments:

  1. those both look really good :)

    I laughed at your 6lbs of beef statement!! Did you eat any of the pasta salad cold at a later date? It looks like a delightful lunch salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and like some good comfort food :) Yum Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, what a delicious filling meal!!! Can I come over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you Lovebirds. This recipe looks yummy. Thanks for sharing....Stop by for a visit...Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sno--I didn't try the pasta cold, but it was great re-heated the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jenna--Of course you could pop in for dinner! Anytime! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, What a good wife you are. YOur pot roast looks delicious!!!! It will be on the menu next week. Look for a link back to this post. If you and Nathan say it is especially delicious, then I need to make this.
    I've been catching up on your past posts. I just love all you write about!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You both look happy and your roast is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. You can't go wrong with a Southern Living recipe! I dropped by via Yvonne's blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting that! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so the hamburger helper that you mentioned that nathan makes, is that the boxed stuff? or a recipe? hamburger helper is so quick and easy but so high in sodium so just wondering if you had a healthier substitute thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @AmberMarie--The stuff he makes is definitely the real (not-so-good-for-you Hamburger Helper). :) However, my good friend SnoWhite has a great cooking blog with tons of yummy, healthy-for-you pasta options. Here's her pasta page: http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/pasta.html Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel