Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Brown Baggin' It In Style

I'll raise my head high and admit to you that Nathan and I are brown baggers.  I was always a brown bagger as a child, and I guess that trait just followed me into adulthood.  Not only do I like that it save us money, but I like to also think it keeps us healthier.


When I saw this fancy schmancy brown bag lunch idea in this month's edition of Real Simple, I just had to try it.  The verdict?  It took me less than 10 minutes to whip up the night before, and it was especially yummy and light.  I should note that Nathan would think I had lost my ever lovin' mind if I tried to put this in his brown bag lunch, but for my tastes--it was a hit!


Green Bean & Pasta Salad  -- adapted slightly from Real Simple, October 2010 issue

Here's what you'll need:
4 ounces (1 1/4 cup) any pasta-I chose bowtie; 1 c. dark red kidney beans; 1 c. green beans (I used frozen, but feel free to use fresh too); 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning; 2 TBSP grated Parmesan; 2 TBSP lemon juice; 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil; 1/2 tsp kosher salt


  • Cook pasta.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together everything except for green beans.  Set aside.


  • In the last 3 minutes of cooking the pasta, add in green beans.  Drain and run under cold water to cool.

  • Toss pasta with bean mixture
So colorful!

  • Divide the salad between 2 containers and refrigerate up to 1 day










4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great lunch! I also bring my lunch to work everyday. I go out once every blue moon with my coworkers, but every time I do I feel bad about the money I spent. =P

    I'll have to try this one day! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - Brown bagger and proud. You crack me up.
    I am eating a salad today - been craving salads daily lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that recipe in Real Simple last night and thought I must try it - I love its simplicity and hopefully, health benefits. Brown baggers unite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, Again, you are a very smart young homemaker! This is the best thing you can do for your figure and your pocketbook.
    And this is a wonderful recipe!
    I stay at home, but I'm whipping this recipe up for a lunch for myself.
    Give Nathan a big HI from me.
    As I always say, you are doing this grown-up married thing sooooo right. I just delight in you and Nathan!
    God bless you both!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel