Thursday, October 7, 2010

30-Ounces of Sweet Puréed Goodness

I would like to take a moment to share my heart.  My heart loves fall.  And fall loves my heart.  My birthday is in the fall, so I have a built-in affinity for the season already.  But I also adore this season for other reasons too.  Apples, Cinnamon, Pumpkin, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cider . . . OK, those are all food-related reasons.  But, I do like the changing of the leaves and the cool weather, too.  And sweaters.  And boots. 


Anyway.  The reason I'm sharing my heart about fall is because my heart is happy.  Actually, it's my tummy that's happy . . . but if my tummy is happy, then I'm just happy all over.  Last night, I broke out the pumpkin.  All 30 ounces of it.  Oh yes, I went there.  I was trying to wait until the middle of October to do it, but it beckoned me from inside the pantry - I kid you not.  It was a little scary.


The first thing I did was make 2 loaves of Pumpkin Bread.  I really wanted to keep both of them, but I moseyed to our neighbors and cheerfully gave one away.  I actually did that to save myself from eating the whole thing - Nathan's not a pumpkin eater, and that just would have been too dangerous for me.  


The second thing I did was make Pumpkin Pancakes for dinner.  Nathan was at work, and I was feeling like rebelling against our Menu Plan.  So I did.  And it was good.  And I don't feel the least bit sorry for scarfing down those 4 pancakes (a wee bit sick, but not sorry!).


The last thing I was going to do, to finish off the rest of the 30 ounces of glorious orange love staring up at me from inside the can, was to make Pumpkin Muffins.  Sadly, by this time, my kitchen was in shambles and I was in a pancake coma, so into the fridge the rest of the pumpkin went.  For another day.  


To kick the pumpkin season off into high gear, here are the two recipes I made last night:


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread -- A combination of Better Homes & Gardens Pink Cookbook, and my love for chocolate in just about anything.



  • 3 c. sugar
  • 1 c. cooking oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 c. water
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 c. chocolate chips, optional

  1. Start off by greasing your loaf pans.  You'll need two, because this recipe makes enough for 2 loaves.  
  2. In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together until combined.  Add eggs.  Set aside.
  3. In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Alternately add the flour mixture and water to the sugar and oil mixture, beating after each addition.  Beat in pumpkin.  If you're adding the chocolate, you stir those in here.  Pour batter into pans.
  4. Cook at 350 for 65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for ten minutes.  Remove from pan.  Cool completely before slicing (yeah, right).



Pumpkin Spice Pancakes -- I found this recipe over at Annie's Eats, who got it from Joy the Baker, who got it from Martha.



*makes 10
  • 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • Dash of ginger
  • Dash of cloves (if you got 'em, if not, leave it out!)
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. pumpkin
  • 1 egg
  • 2 TBSP. vegetable oil 
  1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.  Stir with a fork.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together milk, pumpkin, egg and oil.  Add the wet to the dry, and whisk until combined.
  3. Slap 1/3 c. of the batter on a hot griddle.  Cook until done.
  4. Put a dash of butter on top while the pancakes are still hot, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  5. Douse in maple syrup.  Eat, and enjoy!





Your Pumpkin Head,








6 comments:

  1. Both of those sound delicious! And lol at the term pancake coma. =] I really want pumpkin pancakes now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachel, you ARE a lil pumpkin head! the bread and hotcakes look so yummy! i say enjoy the autumn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday if I missed it - mine's today and I agree with you about fall, I LOVE it! (And the pumpkin head comment was so cute)!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your sweet heart... you are so cute. I laughed out loud!
    Thank for the pumpkin pancakes.... I would get a pancake coma too... seems so worth it!
    Hugs, Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! I wish I could have been there to bake with you {and, enjoy those pancakes for dinner!} :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had your pumpkin bread and it is OHHHH SO YUMMY! You are delightful!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel