Friday, September 10, 2010

Yummy Dishes in a Flash

I have two new recipes to share today that I'm especially excited about.  One's a veggie dish, and one is a dessert.  By my calculations, if you eat them both in the same setting, they'll equal themselves out.  I'm very logical, you see.


The best, most wonderful thing about these recipes is really twofold: 1.) If you can turn on a stove, you can make these, and 2) Both of them require only 3 ingredients!


This first one was a recipe Nathan's mom shared with me this past weekend in passing.  She said the woman who made them for her used Hershey bars and Crescent rolls.  Well, I didn't have either of these, but I did have biscuits and chocolate chips.  I just couldn't wait to run home and try these out.  Enter: Biscuit Roll-Ups w/ Chocolate Filling (aka: Tastes like a funnel cake to me!).


Biscuit Roll-Ups w/ Chocolate Filling (inspired by: Nathan's mom, who tried them from some lady in Canada)


  • 1 can Pillsbury flaky layers biscuits (I had the 8-biscuit can, but you can adjust this based on how many you need to make)
  • Chocolate chips
  • Powdered sugar
  1. Flatten biscuits with your hand (until they are big enough to put chocolate chips in them and roll up, burrito style)
  2. Place chocolate chips in center of biscuit (use as many or as little as you like!)
  3. Roll up biscuit, burrito style.  Pinch ends closed so that the chocolate doesn't ooze out.
  4. Place seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish.
  5. Bake according to biscuit package directions (until biscuits are brown and not doughy)
  6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar


This other recipe was one I threw together accidentally, not thinking it would be that good.  I had some leftover frozen spinach from a recipe I made and some fresh tomatoes and shredded mozzarella.  Enter:  Warm Spinach Salad (aka: Would make a perfect side dish!)

Warm Spinach Salad 
*As to not be a fibber, this recipe does contain more than 3 ingredients, but I'm sure you have garlic, onion and olive oil so I didn't really count those. :)

**This little recipe made enough to fill 1 small cereal bowl, so you might need to adjust the ingredients accordingly.

  • 5 oz. frozen whole leaf spinach, thawed, drained and chopped coarsely.
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • shredded mozzarella
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • extra virgin olive oil

  1. Pour some olive oil in a pan and let it get warm.  Add the garlic and onions, and let them sweat.
  2. Add in spinach, and heat through.  Your kitchen will start smelling awfully good about right now.
  3. Remove from heat, and place in a bowl.  Top with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.  



3 comments:

  1. Yum on both! The biscuits kind of remind me of Chocolate Chip Pancakes by Mom. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh -- I really like the spinach toss dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How innovative! I wouldn't have thought to use the biscuits. Both look yummy! I love quick dishes.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel