Last week's menu plan was a huge hit! I never posted a picture of the Pioneer Woman Potato Wedges we tried out on Labor Day, but take my word-they were delicious! In her recipe, it says you can use several optional ingredients. I chose to use the following: 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tsp Minced Garlic, 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, 1/4 tsp Salt, 1 TBSP melted butter, and 1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You mix all this up in a small bowl, toss in your uncooked potato wedges so they get all nice and coated in the yummy mixture. Throw them on a baking pan and bake them at 450 degrees until done (about 30-35 minutes in my case).
Last week we also cooked up SnoWhite's 3-Cheese Ziti. I made this in my 8x8 baking dish so that we wouldn't have so many leftovers cramming our fridge and it worked out perfectly! With the leftover frozen spinach, I was able to throw together a new yummy recipe--Warm Spinach Salad:
Yesterday, we tried out a new dish that I was especially excited about - a yummy Mexican-inspired recipe I'd been eying over at The Sister's Cafe. It's Crock Pot Southwestern Chicken, and it was so easy to throw together and full of flavor! This is definitely being added to our Family Favorites list.
Crock Pot Southwestern Chicken (The Sisters Cafe)
- 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz) jar medium salsa*
- Tortilla chips
- Optional ingredients: fresh cilantro, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.
- Place frozen corn in the bottom of your Crock Pot.
- Place frozen chicken breasts on top of the corn.
- Place rinsed and drained black beans on top of the chicken breasts.
- Cover with salsa.
- Cook on High for 1 hour and Low for 4 hours.
- Enjoy atop tortilla chips, and add your favorite toppings, too!
For leftovers, I wrapped the mix up in a flour tortilla and it was yummy that way too!
This week, we're trying out a couple of new dishes. It's going to be a short menu week because Friday we head out for a weekend of camping at one of our favorite spots. We'll be using our free camping voucher that Nathan won last year in the photo competition, so we're even more excited that this little weekend getaway is practically free!
Here's what we're having this week . . .
Tuesday: SnoWhite's Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup
Wednesday: Leftover Night
Thursday: Loaded Steak Burritos
Don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for more menu plan ideas!