Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: DIY Fall Napkin Rings

I've been seriously slacking in thrifty posts for quite some time.  Trust me, it's not that we've lost our thriftiness--we've just been too lazy busy to document it. 

At any rate, I have a fall decorating tutorial to show you today that I found in the September Better Homes and Gardens issue.  It was just too cute, and I was just too curious not to try this one.  The best part? You shouldn't have to buy anything to make it!  Yep, that's right--it's totally, 100% free.  Nothing is more thrifty than that right there.

To start things off, here's a picture of what the project looked like in the magazine (click the photos to enlarge them):

It's a napkin ring made out of acorns that have been looped together with wire.  
Easy, and so festive!

So, I went in search for the perfect little acorns.  But, unfortunately, only found these giant monster acorns.  After a while, they kinda grew on me and I decided to go with it.

You can tell by the photo, the acorns are a little tarnished.  So, I grabbed my Murphy Oil and polished those babies right up!

Here's just a little side-by-side comparison of the polished acorn (left) and the non-polished (right).  
I'm just weird like that.

Nathan was kind enough to drill small holes in the acorns for me with his power drill.
I'm scared of drills, and those are his toys anyway.

This is the wire we used--it was just laying around in the garage screaming for us to use it.

Then we strung them together like so--the magazine suggested alternating them top-side up and bottom-side up to make them stay together closer.

Then Nathan took his pliers and tied the wires together (in a twisty-tie like fashion) and cut the ends off.


And Wah-La! 
A FREE fall napkin ring ready for your first festive dinner party.

Stay tuned for more thrifty fall decorations in the upcoming months!  
Here's a little sneak peak . . . and just so y'all know, I'm not slacking on my domestic duties--those aren't clothes Nathan is ironing. :)



4 comments:

  1. Rachel, This is a great post! I love the acorn idea. I am certainly going to make those napkin rings!!!!

    Be looking for a new weekly party I'll be hosting caLled Tips, Tidbits and Tutorials... entering this would be perfect.

    Don't you love a man that can iron?
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I made a fall centerpiece last year and those would match perfectly! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! I just love this idea too and should be able to find plenty of acorns and my hubby has a drill and bits! WHOO HOO and it's FREE!!!!!! Thanks! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative! I love how you follow-through on such great ideas! You two make a good pair!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel