Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The (not-so-planned) All-Day Date

Every now and then, Nathan and I have the luxury of enjoying an all-day date.  These usually occur when he gets a random Saturday off and there are no projects to be done around the house (notice I said "every now and then").


Our most recent all-day date was planned for Tuesday (the day after Labor Day).  Nathan and I were supposed to go to the Six Flags nearby.  But, that got changed when we realized Monday night that Six Flags wasn’t open Tuesday.  (sad face)  We were both really looking forward to using our free tickets and spending the whole day together at the amusement park—it was in the upper 80’s here on Tuesday!  But, we didn’t let the little setback disappoint us too much.  We decided to make the most of the beautiful day by taking a long bike ride down a new trail.  We rode for about 8 miles, came home, and then chowed down on some leftover Labor Day barbecue. 


Here are some pictures from our ride:

The trail used to be an old railroad track, and Nathan's standing on some of the original wood


We saw this little guy gal and her two children

And this fuzzy little thing, too

After our adventurous bike ride, Nathan was kind enough to agree to go shopping with me.  We went all over – Starbucks (no good shopping trip can start until Starbucks is out of the way), Goodwill, LL Bean, Target, Old Navy, Best Buy and then . . .the mall.  I’m exhausted just typing it all out.  It was about the funnest shopping trip I’ve ever been on because we didn’t spend any money (except for one small early Christmas present for Nathan).  

We just browsed and wrote down things we’d like for Christmas, and speculated why certain businesses were even still open. Take for instance, Godiva Chocolatier.  Don’t get me wrong, I love a good chocolate, but I’m surprised there are still fancy schmancy chocolate stores open.  That has to be such a niche market, right?  I guess I’m going off of my own tastes—I’m just completely satisfied with a bag of Dove dark chocolate and it doesn’t matter to me one bit if it’s from last year’s Halloween batch (Amen?!).  At any rate, we sat on a bench in front of Godiva Chocolatier for about 10 minutes and didn’t see one person walk in.  If we had been there one minute more, I might have ran in there and bought a $10 truffle out of pity (yes, we’ll call it pity) for their business, but Nathan was with me and that just wasn’t happening. 

After our biking/shopping day, we were pooped and headed back to the house for pizza and movies.  This just goes to show that even when things don’t go as planned, when you’re with each other . . .you can have fun doing just about anything.



5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just recently started following your blog and this entry really struck home with me. All-day dates are something I enjoy with my husband more than almost anything else and they are so good for us. =] We just got married 3 months ago, so like you we are newlyweds. It's nice to see that there are others out there just starting out like us. =]

    Sounds like you two had a great day and got some good exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, what a fun day!! too bad Six Flags wasn't open -- but, sounds like you had a great time enjoying the day together. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad Six Flags was closed, but way to go on not letting it spoil your day! I agree about the pricey chocolates- maybe I've just never let my palate get used to those. HA It seems waaayyy overpriced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like y'all had a great day/date :) I can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, starbucks! I kicked coffee with being pregnant and miss it dearly!
    So fun! I finally got myself up and walked around our neighborhood lake today - dreaded it but realized how much refreshed I felt after it. Outdoors does a body good : )

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel