Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ADK 2010 Edition

It's hard for me to believe that I've been writing on this little blog for over a year now.  I'm not really one to stick with something like this - proof of this is when I nixed my Facebook account because it was just too much work.  I don't really know how updating a status is more work than blogging 3-4 times a week, but for whatever reason . . . blogging just stuck for me.


Last year when I first started this blogging thing, I posted about a camping trip Nathan and I took to the Adirondacks.  (You can read that post here.)  That trip was only my second time to go camping - like, with a tent and sleeping outside.  I'm happy to report that since I wrote that blog post, I've been tent camping a total of 5 times!  I've discovered how remarkably wonderful it is to shut off for a few days, and get away with my man and my God.  


This year's trip was paid in full (thanks to Nathan winning last year's photo contest), so we had some extra cash to splurge on our weekend getaway.


Here's some of the stuff we got into this time around:
The first morning we were there, we discovered how quickly one can become lazy in 30 degree weather.  It was way too cold for granola bars and reheated ricotta pancakes, so I convinced Nathan that a hot breakfast would make us feel so warm, and give us energy to do a lot of hiking. He ignored his breakfast aversion for a bit while we scarfed this down . . .

Exhibit A: Hot (mega-sized) Breakfast

Little did I know that the mega-sized breakfast would not give us lots of energy to hike, but rather put us in a food coma.  We drove to the trail head of the hike, decided to "rest our eyes" a bit before heading up, and ended up sleeping in the car for a good hour.  Now if that doesn't have "vacation" written all over it, I don't know what does!

When we finally did work up the energy to do some sight seeing, we stumbled across the start of some fall foliage.  


Took a little trip in a canoe . . .








Saw some wildlife . . .

Went to one of the neatest movie theaters I've ever been to.  This is one of the hallways filled with old projectors and cameras.

And of course, it wouldn't be camping without a cozy fire. :)



This time around, we learned a few lessons:
  1. Never go camping after August in Upstate New York (unless you wanna freeze your tootsies off)
  2. Make sure and check your air mattress for leaks before you leave home - ours made us motion sickness halfway through the night.
  3. Never eat a big breakfast before taking a hike.


6 comments:

  1. I still haven't been camping! Eric and I have been planning to go for a while, but we haven't made time for it. I will soon though! I'm inspired now. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. @theultimate, you totally should give it a try! It's so relaxing and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures - it's a wise person who learns valuable lessons. Glad you still had a good time. Have a good trip to AL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE! Love the pics and I love the idea of getting away and being unplugged! Can't wait to see you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pictures - glad you had a good time even though you nearly froze~ you're creating memories! Have a good trip to AL -

    ReplyDelete
  6. good lessons learned :)

    Your photos are beautiful -- what a nice getaway! And, one whole year, eh! Pretty impressive!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel