Monday, August 9, 2010

Marital Monday + Aug 9 Menu Plan

This past week, a few funnies were said around the Atwood house that I just had to share here for Marital Monday.  


One night this past week, Nathan and I were laying in bed and my topic of conversation drifted to food.  No surprise there.  I asked Nathan if he liked corn dogs, and he replied "Yes."  I then asked, "Well, what do you dip your corn dog in?  Do you like ketchup, mustard or honey?"  He then so sweetly replied, "I like mine plain.  I'm not from the south, sweetie.  You think everything has to be dipped in something."  I'm afraid he's right. :)


Another day this week I was headed to work and I wanted to remind Nathan that there were lots of leftovers in the refrigerator that needed to be eaten up--we had a couple meals worth in there.  In a hurry to get out of the door, I said, "Honey, please eat all the leftovers in the refrigerator today.  I don't want them to go to waste."  He looked at me a little confused and said, "All of the leftovers?"  


This last one isn't necessarily funny, but it made me realize why I love married life so much.  One night this past week, I was on my way home and Nathan and I were talking on the phone.  I asked him a question that I thought was stupid, and before I let him answer I said, "That was a stupid question, wasn't it?"  He answered me with, "Honey, we're best friends.  Best friends can ask each other questions that they might be embarrassed to ask anyone else and it's OK."  *grin*


Speaking of best friends . . . here's a picture of the two of us sharing the morning together on Saturday.  We woke up and went for a bike ride first thing.  It finally cooled off enough this weekend for us to take our bikes out, and we had the best time:

Yesterday, we spent the morning at church and then I headed over to my parents to spend some quality time with them and their house guests while Nathan went to work.  My mom was gracious enough to send me home with a zucchini, some cucumbers and some tomatoes from their garden.  Look at the size of that zucchini!  Our cucumbers are about half that size right now, so it will be nice to eat some fresh garden cucs before ours come in.

***



We are so excited this week is finally here for many reasons.  This weekend, one of my dear friends is getting married and I'm honored to be standing with her as a bridesmaid.  Nathan and I will be joining them Friday night for rehearsal and then Saturday for the wedding.  

This weekend is also when Nathan's parents arrive!  We are thrilled to have his family stay with us for a few days and are really anticipating spending some quality time with them.  We haven't seen them since January, so there is a lot of catching up to do!  (And a rematch of girls vs. guys Sequence that needs to take place.)

Here's what's on our menu plan for this week:

Friday: Rehearsal Dinner
Saturday: Wedding!

Don't forget to check out I'm an Organizing Junkie for more menu plan ideas!



9 comments:

  1. you too are so fun! Love the best friends part -- it's so true, isn't it?

    And, yea for bike riding, cooler weather and fresh garden produce!! We made refrigerator pickles with all the cucumbers from the garden we inherited! And... there are so many tomatoes... I can't wait until they are ripe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got excited when I saw the Creamy Chicken Taquito recipe on several blogs last week. Have you made them before? Just wondering if they were good - we eat Mexican food at least once a week in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, Your funny and sweet conversations warmed my heart. Just keep up the conversation! Never let anything come in the way of it... even children.

    Your menu sound wonderful, especially anything that has a Hispanic name to it. I love Mexican influenced food!
    Give Nathan my best!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a delicious looking meal plan. Have a great time at the wedding, how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crockpot Southwestern Chicken sounds perfect for a group. I will have to try it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute. I am a southern girl too, and I'll admit that we do love to dip our food!

    I've made that southwest chicken before but it's been a while. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anna--I haven't actually made these yet, but I'll be sure to post about it after I make them! They looked too yummy to pass up. Oh, and I'm right there with you on the once a week Mexican dishes. :)

    @Yvonne--good advice! You never fail on those sweet and insightful comments. :)

    @ahorne--I'm glad a fellow southern gal stopped by our blog. We love visitors! I'm excited to know the southwest chicken is a good dish, too--I can't wait to try it later this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the marital moments...so sweet. I hope you're keeping this somehow (I would have no idea how to do that) as this will be so neat to read when you're old and gray. (Or your kids would love to read it)

    Can't wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing of a marriage you have! :D Your menu sounds delish espcially those taquitos!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel