Thursday, August 26, 2010

Happy Birthday + The Best Chicken Salad I've Ever Had

Before I get to the yummy stuff, I need to first say Happy Birthday to my sweet Dad. :)  Today, he is 51 years young, and he is the best Dad a girl could ever ask for.  Not only is he super-handy (seriously, he can fix or make anything), but he's also funny, full of Godly wisdom, compassionate, strong, and a wonderful cook!  And to top it all off, he is the bestest hubby to my sweet Mom.  He takes such good care of her and loves her so much.  


I hope you have a wonderful day today,  Dad!  I love you!

Here we are last May at my college graduation . . .

I should probably follow this birthday sentiment with some sort of manly meal or dessert, but I have got to share this recipe with you.  I recently found it on Our Best Bites, and was a little skeptical at first.  You see, I'm from the south.  We know how to make Chicken Salad down there, y'all.  I should say, some people down there that own restaurants know how to make Chicken Salad.  I hate to name-drop, but I especially love O'Carrs and Edgars chicken salad.  Those are two different restaurants.  They're tied for first place in my book.

My version of chicken salad consists of a store-bought chicken mixed with mayo and as much fruit as you can possibly throw in.  It's more like a fruit salad with a bit of chicken.  So even though I'm from the south, I did not inherit the slap-yo-mama-it's-so-good chicken salad gene.  Now, thanks to this new fancy chicken salad recipe, I can join the Good Chicken Salad Club.  :)

Teriyaki Chicken Salad -- Adapted from Our Best Bites

  • 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • a little less than 1/4 c. Teriyaki glaze (you can find this with the other teriyaki sauces--it's a little thicker than the regular Teriyaki sauce)
  • 1 mango, cubed
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped thin
  • 1 small can pineapple (you can use chunks or slices), chopped thin
  • Slivered almonds (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • A dash of onion flakes

  1. Cook chicken in skillet on medium heat until done.  Add in onion and garlic.  Pour in teriyaki glaze, and heat through. *At this point, you can either store this in an air tight container over night and prepare the next day, or if you want to prepare it right away, put in the refrigerator for a while to chill)
  2. Once the chicken and teriyaki glaze has chilled, mix with 1/2 c. mayo, celery, and almonds.
  3. Before serving, stir in mango and pineapple.
  4. Serve on a whole wheat wrap with a lettuce leaf, on sandwiches, or croissants.  
Tip: You could also grill the chicken--this is how the original recipe suggests, but I threw this together really quickly by skipping that step.



3 comments:

  1. you know... I've never tried a chicken salad with fruit ... this looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you type 51 years young? Ha! No, I sent him a FB message, I hope he got it. Happy Birthday Uncle Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello: Yvonne from Stonegable suggested your taquito recipe and I have now happily found your blog. I'm looking forward to return visits. I, too, am from the south but now in the midwest.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel