Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Sunday for lunch I decided to make up a little dish I'd been eying for quite some time -- Creamy Chicken Taquitos.  I found the recipe over at Let's Dish.  I'm happy to announce that this recipe has been Nathan approved.  It's going right into the Atwood Family Favorites file, where it'll join our growing-larger-by-the-week repertoire of Mexican cuisine.


If you like Mexican cuisine, you'll love these!


Creamy Chicken Taquitos -- Let's Dish




  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/4 c. green salsa (we used Ortega)
  • the juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder, or onion flakes
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 c. shredded cooked chicken (about 2 medium-sized chicken breasts)
  • 1 c. shredded pepperjack cheese
  • tortillas (we used the large ones, and made Super Sized Taquitos, but you could use the 6-inch ones too--then you could eat more! :) 
  • The recipe also calls for 3 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped and 1-2 green onions chopped. We were out of cilantro and hubby hates green onions, so I left these out and it still turned out delicious.
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, heat cream cheese for 30 seconds in the microwave so it gets soft.
  3. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic to the bowl.  Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions (if you're using them).
  4. Add the chicken and shredded cheese.  Combine well.
  5. Place mixture on the lower third of the tortilla and roll up tightly.  Place seam side down on lightly greased baking dish.
  6. Spray rolled taquitos with non-stick spray so they will brown.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning once halfway through.  
  7. Serve with a side of sour cream, green salsa, and rice and watch your husband devour them! 




7 comments:

  1. Rachel, It has been a little while since I have visited! So sorry. Life is in the fast lane these days! It is all I can do to keep posting.
    But I picked the perfect day to visit you! Your taquitos look wonderful!!!!! I love Mexican food. This will be on StoneGable's menu next week for sure.
    How are you and Nathan? Lots of hugs from me!
    Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet my husband would even like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!
    Sorry I am slacking in the blogging dept.
    The girls are doing great with school - Emma this morning, cried about it but I just emailed her teacher and Emma & I are going to talk this afternoon. I hope all is well with her -- I think she is tired and coming down with a cold.
    I love your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! Check my blog later for a long-overdue update and a salsa recipe!

    Looks like you've been up to a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a very picky Mexican food eater and these sounds delicious!! I'm going to save the recipe and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvonne sent me over so I am a new follower! This recipe sounds delicious and we need some new things to try! Thanks so much!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you through Yvonne, now following. Those look yummy! Going straight to the keeper file.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel