Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's Been Growing on Around Here

Cheesy headline, I know, but I am so excited about some of the things that have been growing in my flower and vegetable gardens that I just couldn't wait to share.


I got my first squash of the season, and I don't think I've ever seen a more yellow squash (maybe I'm just biased).  I can't wait to bite into this thing!  Now, I just have to figure out what to make with all the squash I'll (hopefully) be getting.



In other vegetable garden news, our tomatoes are no more.  They died before they even got the slightest bit of tomato on the vine.  Don't know what happened there, but I will definitely be trying them again next year!  Good news is, my parents are supposed to have quite the tomato harvest this year, so I'll be hitting them up soon. :)  

I'm also expecting cucumbers to pop up soon, and I'll be digging up the rest of my potatoes and my garlic this week.  Wish me luck--it's hard to tell when those underground veggies are done doing their thing.

In my front flower garden, I was tickled pink to come home from vacation and find my gladiolus in bloom!  All this heat must have really brought them out, and the colors just couldn't be any more beautiful.


I even cut a few stems to put inside the house . . .

I am memorized by that bright orange color, but I think I'll also be getting some yellow's and red's too.  I love having fresh cut (free) flowers in the house! 

So, what about you?  What's your gardening growing these days?  I'd love to hear! 


3 comments:

  1. My hydrageas died (I am a horrible gardener) but my hibicus are still beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma has a great recipe for Squash Casserole. You should ask her for it. It is one of my faves!!!!

    The flowers are beautiful :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Rachel,
    Isn't it the best feeling, bringing your garden harvest into your home! It is one of the wonderful pleasures of homemakikng!
    And yes, your squash is the most yellow! I'm sure it will taste as good as it looks.

    Oh, how I wish I had gladiolus in my garden. They are so striking! So beautiful in your vase. I hope they last a good long time for you! In your one picture they look almost peach. What a gorgeous color!

    As always, I feel so much pride, for some reason, welling up inside of me when I visit. You and Nathan are the best examples of what a young Christian couple should be. It is a joy to watch how you live and love life!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel