Tuesday, July 20, 2010

RR's Super Sloppy Joes

I'm not a huge fan of Sloppy Joe's--in fact, up until our VBS a few weeks back, I hadn't eaten one in like 2 or 3 years!  Then I had one and I remembered why I liked them so much.  They're quick, they don't need to be perfect, and they're delicious.  What's not to love?


So, I set off in search of the perfect Sloppy Joe recipe to make for me and the hubs this week.  That's when I found Rachael Ray's Super Sloppy Joe recipe.  I planned to have them last night because I needed an easy dinner before Bible Study.  These puppies took about 15 minutes to whip up and were the best Sloppy Joe's I have ever eaten.  Ever.  I am not kidding.  Buh-bye, Manwich!


Try these next time you need dinner in a flash, and your family won't be disappointed.


Super Sloppy Joe's -- Rachael Ray


  • olive oil
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP steak seasoning blend (we used McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (optional--we left this out because the Mr. doesn't eat peppers)
  • 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
  • 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 c. tomato sauce
  • 2 TBSP tomato paste
  • Kaiser rolls (you gotta' get the big ones--these things are sloppy)
  • Garnish with cheese, pickles, or whatever else you like with your Sloppy Joe

  1. Heat a skillet with olive oil, and add meat.  Break meat into small pieces.  
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and steak seasoning.  Add this to the meat, and cook on medium heat until browned.
  3. Once meat is brown, add in onion, vinegar, red pepper (if applicable) and Worcestershire.  Cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Add tomato sauce and paste to skillet.  Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 additional minutes.  
  5. Spoon mixture onto toasted Kaiser rolls.  Garnish.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, the brown sugar is an ingredient I'd never think of on my own. I have a subscription to her magazine and have a ton of back issues that will just get recycled - if you wanted any good recipes I could pass them on to you or you could to your Church if you collect magazines at all...

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel