Tuesday, July 27, 2010

RR's Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini

Since we're eating leftovers this week to try and free up some space in our fridge (you would think we are a family of four with all the stuff we have packed in there), I thought I'd share some recipes we enjoyed last week that I didn't get around to posting.


I tried this recipe one night while Nathan was at work because I just knew he wouldn't like it.  I ended up eating two helpings because it was just that good.  Nathan never got around to trying it.  I think the word "spinach" and "artichoke" together were just too much for him to handle.  Next time, I'll just tell him we're having cheesy pasta and maybe that'll do it. :)


Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini -- taken from Rachael Ray's ExpressLane Meals Cookbook, pg. 48


*Makes 4 servings
  • 1 lb. tortellini (we used cheese-filled, but RR suggested using mushroom filled--our grocer didn't have these, but I bet it would be delicious!)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
  • olive oil
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 small onion, halved and grated
  • 1 c. chicken stock
  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 handful grated Parmesan
  1. Cook tortellini.
  2. Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, saute garlic, butter and olive oil until hot.  Grate onion over pan to add to sauce.
  3. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Sprinkle in all-purpose flour, stir. Cook 1 minute.
  5. Whisk in the stock, then the cream and bring to a bubble.  
  6. Add nutmeg.  Stir until combined. Reduce heat to low.
  7. Slowly add spinach, separating into smaller pieces as you add them.  Stir.
  8. Add Parmesan cheese, and artichokes.  Stir until combined.
  9. Toss in cooked tortellini.
  10. Enjoy! (this dish was also great reheated the next day!)
 



1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love spinach anything so I am going to try these too!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel