I tried this recipe one night while Nathan was at work because I just knew he wouldn't like it. I ended up eating two helpings because it was just that good. Nathan never got around to trying it. I think the word "spinach" and "artichoke" together were just too much for him to handle. Next time, I'll just tell him we're having cheesy pasta and maybe that'll do it. :)
Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini -- taken from Rachael Ray's ExpressLane Meals Cookbook, pg. 48
*Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. tortellini (we used cheese-filled, but RR suggested using mushroom filled--our grocer didn't have these, but I bet it would be delicious!)
- 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- 1 TBSP butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, halved and grated
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 handful grated Parmesan
- Cook tortellini.
- Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, saute garlic, butter and olive oil until hot. Grate onion over pan to add to sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in all-purpose flour, stir. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in the stock, then the cream and bring to a bubble.
- Add nutmeg. Stir until combined. Reduce heat to low.
- Slowly add spinach, separating into smaller pieces as you add them. Stir.
- Add Parmesan cheese, and artichokes. Stir until combined.
- Toss in cooked tortellini.
- Enjoy! (this dish was also great reheated the next day!)