Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When Bread & Butter met Ham & Cheese

Growing up, both of my parents worked full-time.  I don't think I realized just how hard they worked until I recently got my first full-time job.  My parents would come home from working all day, prepare a nice home cooked meal every night and still manage to spend time with my brother and me.  My mom was is also a wee bit obsessed with keeping a clean house, so many times she'd iron, vacuum, dust, clean the bathroom, etc. all before bed!  


I have to say, my motivation is a little bit less.  At the end of a long day at work, I just want to come home, put my hair in a ponytail, plop in front of the TV and eat Cosmic Brownies (yes, the Little Debbie ones) until I'm sick.


It's nights like this when an easy recipe is a must.  As a full-time working woman, my mom was queen of easy recipes, and this is one we kids especially enjoyed.  I recently found a jazzed up version over at The Girl Who Ate Everything, and I knew I had to give it a try!  I wasn't the slightest bit disappointed.  Nathan commented that they tasted like something from the fast food chain Krystal.  That was a compliment coming from him--Krystal ranks high on the list of favorites for Mr. Atwood.


Ham & Cheese Sliders -- The Girl Who Ate Everything
**I made these just for me and the hubs, so I halved the recipe and got 12 sliders.  The recipe below will make 24.

  • 24 good dinner rolls
  • 24 slices good ham (we used some fresh thick-cut stuff from the Deli at our local grocer)
  • 24 small slices good swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup Mayo
  • 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
For the Poppy seed sauce
(I took Christy's suggestion and halved the sauce recipe because she said it made a lot.  I halved it below, but if you want to make it all, just simply double what I put)

  • 1/2 TBSP Poppy seeds
  • 1 TBSP yellow mustard
  • 1/2 stick of butter, melted
  • 1/2 TBSP minced onion (or dried onion flakes)
  • 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce (for some reason, I accidentally completely left this out, and they still tasted yummy.  Next time I'll definitely add this in to see if it tastes even better.)


  1. Slice dinner rolls in half
  2. Mix together in a small bowl Miracle Whip and Mayo
  3. Spread mayo mixture on both sides of rolls
  4. Place 1 piece of ham and 1 piece of small swiss cheese on each roll
  5. Close dinner rolls and place on cookie or baking sheet.  Place very close together.
  6. Mix sauce ingredients together and let sit 10 minutes to thicken.
  7. Pour sauce over rolls.
  8. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 2-3 minutes.









3 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! I love these. I call them "funeral sandwiches" though. Because I have always seen them made with "funeral rolls" You know me and my weird names for things. : )

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel