Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Re-decorating the Master Bedroom (again)

I showed you yesterday some re-decorating I did on our hutch in our dining room.  Today, I thought I'd reveal our re-decorated Master Bedroom.  I did this a while back, but I wasn't quite ready to reveal it.  It's still not done, but I decided to show the progress anyway.  Patience isn't my strongest quality.

You may remember back in this post when I showed you some pictures of some cheap curtains I scored at my favorite store, our new bedspread and our new photos hanging above the bed.

Here's the original master bedroom . . .

The other wall had our "wedding shrine" as Nathan liked to call it. :)

Then here's the master bedroom with our new bedspread, curtains and fresh paint . . . 

"Wedding shrine" again

And here's the master bedroom today . . . 

You'll notice yet another set of new curtains.  These were also purchased on the cheap from The Christmas Tree Shop, but I changed my mind on the valences we had before and went for something more romantic with the full-length ones.  I also love that they're green and pick up the green in the bedspread.  Speaking of the Christmas Tree Shop, that's where I also picked up those 2 new throw pillows on the bed.  They're a little bigger than I liked, but for $4, they'll do for now.

We also switched out those two photos above the bed for this new earthy metal piece Nathan and I fell in love with from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It was a total splurge for me at $40, but it's one I know will last us a while, and one we both love staring at.

We also decided to add a console table in place of the wedding shrine.  We grew sick of looking at ourselves quickly, so the two pictures that were above the bed, moved to this wall and I added in some decorative pieces on the table too. (Ignore those two holes in the wall, will you?  I'm a procrastinator when it comes to spackling.)

I should note here that I put that console table together.  All by myself.  With tools.  Just don't touch it.  It might fall over.  I'm only sort of kidding.

Last but not least, I picked up this super cheap and versatile rug to go in front of our dresser.

You  may be wondering to yourself, "How do they get that rug to stay put on hardwood floors?"  Or you may not even care.  But, if you do, I'll share my clever secret.  We had some leftover shelving liner (you know the rubbery stuff that you line your kitchen cabinets with when you first move in?) that I cut into three large pieces and placed on the floor.  No slippery rug for us!  I was pretty proud of that one.

The space isn't fully done yet--I'm still looking for a wicker chair to go in the corner of the room so I can have a place to read, but I haven't found any decent ones at yard sales or on Craigslist, and I refuse to pay full price for wicker.  I just won't do it.

So there you have it, transformation #3 on the master bedroom.  I'm sure Nathan is hoping it stays this way for a while.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Cute Rachel! Nice job :) I guess I will call you Martha Jr. LOL! I call Missy, Martha, you know as in Stewart! Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute make over! I love long curtains too:). Right now I'm looking at the curtains in our living room (we have a strange situation where we are renting from relatives) and they were left here from the previous people and I just never went out and bought new ones. I'm scarily thinking of attempting sewing some curtains because they are very large windows. We'll see... me and sewing machines don't get along well:S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exciting!! I love the earthy piece above the bed-- totally worth the splurge. Love the new look. Is your spread a duvet cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you hire out? I so need a makeover in my living room/dining room (kitchen also...now that I think about it, the list could go on HA)

    I love the metal piece above the bed - makes a bold statement. And I love long curtains as well. The whole look is great - you are certainly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job!! I love your new bedroom! I love the new bedspread - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel