Thursday, June 10, 2010

He Said . . .

Since Nathan and I are celebrating our 1-year anniversary this weekend, I asked him to do a guest post for the blog on what he's learned during our first year of marriage. If you've missed our 1-year anniversary posts, be sure to check out part 1, part 2 and part 3.

***

Hi there! Rachel will not be writing a blog entry today, she has asked me  to write about what I've learned in our first year of marriage. At first, she wanted me to write about my “thoughts and feelings from a year ago, before we got married.”  When she asked this, a surprised look crossed my face and I said, “Rachel, that's a tough order for a man, I can't remember my 'thoughts and feelings' from a month ago!”  So, that idea got thrown out and now I'm supposed to “share” (there's another one of those specialty female areas) things I've learned in newlywed life.  

First, I want to say that I am thankful God has blessed me with such a wonderful, amazing wife who loves me every day. She is wise beyond her years and she makes me the happiest guy ever.  
  1. Be unselfish. When we first got married, Rachel and I were both single and independent, we had to learn to not think of ourselves first, and think about our mate's feelings and likes/dislikes.
For example, when I was younger and living alone, I used to do the dishes on a regular basis. A weekly basis, that is.  :-)   Rachel, on the other hand, likes a clean kitchen and does them every day. (I'm glad for this)   Anyway, when we first got married I would sometimes let the dishes pile up and Rachel would ask me to please clean my dishes and put them in the dishwasher. (I think she said “please” or maybe she hit me over the head with the scrub brush, I can't remember which.)    So, I compromised and now I wash my dishes and put them in the dishwasher.  Sometimes I even wash her dishes! I'm still waiting for my housework paycheck but that hasn't come in the mail yet.... 
  1. Laugh about things!  This has been our best asset in our marriage. We laugh a lot! I believe silliness and fun translates to less stress and a more real, honest relationship with your spouse.
I tried to come up with some funny stories, but its hard to pick out some of the laughing we do around the house, but I'll tell a recent one that  happened this past weekend . . . 
Rachel and I were hitting yard sales on a Saturday morning. As usual, I had an itinerary, with each sale we were going to mapped out. We didn't have very many sales on the list, so we were stopping at some if we saw a sign on the side of the road. I was cruising down one street about 50mph, and Rachel said, “There's one!” I slammed on the brakes and swerved to the right, squealing my tires as the wheels spit up the gravel on the road and then whipped the car into the street. The yard sale was actually like the 2nd or 3rd house on the street, so as we pulled up, everyone was staring at us. Rachel was mortified, of course, and didn't want to get out of the car. I just started laughing, and pretty soon we were both having a good laugh about it.    

Well, that's only two things. Looks like I have a lot more to learn about marriage. It's been a fun year, and I'm looking forward to many more. I'll close with a good Bible verse I read the other day that made me think of Rachel. Proverbs 12:4a “A wife of noble character is her husband's crown”.

4 comments:

  1. So sweet and what a beautiful tribute to Rachel! Thanks for taking such good care of each other!
    Love you both,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great ingredients that make a good marriage - glad you're committed to pleasing God and each other. I'm so happy for you and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post; thanks for sharing your insights!! I greatly agree with both of your "first year of marriage lessons" especially about not being selfish! I've heard it said that marriage is the best full-length mirror ever, you easily see your selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny about the yardsale story! And I love that you talked Nathan into doing a post. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel