Friday, June 4, 2010

Fresh Summer Dishes

This week, we've been cooking up some yummy summer dishes in our kitchen.  These have been such a hit, that I thought I’d share them here on the blog.  I’ll be adding these into our “What’s Cookin’?” section up top because they’ve made it to our list of favorite recipes.

But first . . . I have to share an ironic situation that took place earlier this week.

I’ve been eager to try SnoWhite’s recipe for Cheddar Chicken & Pasta.  Her hubby made this recipe for her when she was sick and she claimed it was a good comfort food.  I’ve had it on our menu plan now for two weeks, but we’ve been a little busy and some of our menu plans were just that—plans that didn’t come to fruition. 

However, this week I was determined to make this yummy-looking pasta dish.  Then, during the night on Monday hubby came down with a horrible virus.  He was out of commission for about three days, poor thing.  And Tuesday night I finally made the pasta dish—ironically formy sick one!  This pasta isn’t really meant only to be eaten when sick, but it just so happened that way for me and SnoWhite.  At any rate, it was a super-easy dish to throw together and I definitely want to take Sno’s recommendation to spice this up next time with Broccoli or Spinach.  Thanks SnoWhite for another great pasta dish!

Cheddar Chicken & Pasta Bake -- taken from SnoWhite (click here for the full recipe)


 The second dish we tried was Egg Salad BLT.  I found this over at Our Best Bites, and it was a hit!  Who would've thought that Egg Salad would go so well with bacon??  But then again, what does bacon not go well with?  I modified it just a teensy bit to fit our tastes.

Egg Salad BLT -- modified from Our Best Bites
Makes 2 sandwiches.  
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs
  • (1/2 of a) 1/4 c. mayo (we use Helman's)
  • 1 1/2 TBSP sour cream
  • 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked
  • 4 lettuce leaves
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 2 Kaiser rolls (or 4 slices of your favorite bread)
  1. Combine mayo, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl.  Set aside.
  2. After eggs have cooked, coarsely chop them, and add them to the bowl with the mayo mix.
  3. Toast bread, if desired and spread egg salad evenly.  Add bacon, lettuce and tomato (and pickles, if desired).


 Then, last but not least, one of my favorite summer things to make around our house—smoothies!  I worked in a local coffee shop during my years of college and I loved making smoothies.  Except when it got about 80+ degrees and everyone and their brother wanted a smoothie.  Then it got a little old.

These are a nice summer treat and are a perfect substitute for dessert.  Or, in addition to dessert. : )

The ingredients can be switched up to your liking, but the basis goes something like this . . .

Blueberry Banana Strawberry Smoothie
  • 8 ounces orange juice (or if you like a creamier smoothie, substitute milk in place of the OJ)
  • ½ c. blueberries (or any other favorite berry)
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1 strawberry yogurt (I like my smoothies creamy, but with an OJ base, so I add in 1 of the small yogurts.  This particular night I had some extra Activia Strawberry yogurt I needed to use up, so I just threw that in.)
  • Feel free to add in a few cubes of ice too, if you like a thicker colder smoothie.  I didn’t do that this night.
  • Blend.
  • Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Never thought of putting bacon on egg salad - nice twist! Glad you take such good care of hubby - he's lucky to have you for a wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of those look awesome -- I'll have to try that egg salad BLT.

    sorry that you guys had to eat the pasta while sick, but isn't it a great comfort food?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to making the egg salad sandwiches for lunch this summer. I'm always looking for new ways to use eggs, because luckily I can get them for free from my family with chickens. Those sandwiches look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 great recipes! I can not wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel