Friday, June 25, 2010

Easy & Yummy Casserole Recipes

Since we've been a little busy around here lately getting ready for company and entertaining guests, casserole dishes have become my new best friend.  I just love how versatile and easy they are.  Granted, some of them aren't the healthiest things in the world, but I usually try to serve them up with a big garden salad or a side of steamed veggies so it's not an entirely fattening meal.

Last week, Nathan and I tried out this little casserole dish I found from The Girl Who Ate Everything.  I just knew Nathan would snarl his nose in disgust--he's not much of a casserole man, but much to my surprise he ate it all . . . and the leftovers.  That's when I know the recipe is a keeper. :)

Poppy Seed Chicken -- The Girl Who Ate Everything 
**I changed a few of the ratios to cut down on the sodium, but if you want the full recipe, click the link above. 


  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • crushed Whole Wheat Ritz crackers (about 1 roll)
  • 3 TBSP melted butter
  • 1 TBSP poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  1. Boil raw chicken breasts until done.  Let cool and cut into small pieces.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 350
  3. Place chicken in a casserole dish.  
  4. Stir together soup, sour cream and garlic.  Pour over chicken.
  5. Melt butter.  Mix melted butter and crushed crackers together.  Pour over soup and chicken mix.
  6. Bake for 30 mins or until top of casserole is browned.
**One of the readers commented you could put broccoli in the casserole--I may try this next time!

The other recipe we tried this week was one I was especially excited about.  A few weeks ago when Nathan and I were yard saling, I picked up a New York church cookbook for $.25.  Currently, the only church cookbooks I have in my library are southern, so I was super excited to try some New York potluck dishes.  When my eyes glanced at "Tater Tot Casserole," I knew my hubby would love it!  Meat, potatoes and cheese--3 of his favorite things!  He wasn't disappointed.  This has certainly been man approved!


Tater Tot Casserole -- Cross Creek Church Cookbook


  • 1 bag frozen tater tots
  • 6 slices of American cheese (we used Kraft)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (hubby is slowly trying mushrooms!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  1. Cook ground beef until done.  Drain.
  2. Stir meat and soup together.  Pour into a casserole dish.
  3. Top meat and soup with American cheese slices
  4. Pour frozen tater tots on top
  5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until tater tots are done

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you have tater tot hotdish on your blog... this is a MN tradition!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel