Friday, May 7, 2010

When Chewy Chicken Evolves

Is it just me, or do you hate it when you forget to lay out frozen poultry for the next night’s dinner?  Maybe you’re organized and don’t forget, but I’m constantly messaging Nathan from work asking, “Will you put 2 chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag and put them in the fridge for me?” 

The worst is when I forget to leave the chicken out and hubby is at work too.  It’s times like this when I wish there was a super-fast way to defrost chicken other than putting it in the microwave. I just hate when the microwave defrost gives the chicken that chewy outer edge, and the middle is still frozen.  Maybe you’ve never experienced this, and I hope you never do.  It’s a constant around here when we have chicken.  And let me tell you, no one likes chewy edges on their chicken. No ma’am.

Last night would have been a chewy chicken night, but I cooked up a yummy new recipe I found over at my friend SnoWhite’s blog, Finding Joy in My Kitchen.  (She modified the recipe a touch from this site). There was plenty of liquid goodness (aka bacon) to take this chicken from chewy to moisty. 

Moisty’s not really a word, but I needed one that ended in –y and it works.  Right?  Maybe not.

Anywho, this moisty chicken was full of flavor and even included two, three OK, all of my favorite things—chicken, pasta, peas, honey mustard (yumm) and cheese!

Thank you SnoWhite for posting such a yummy recipe, and for saving our chewy chicken! 

Honey Mustard ChickenFinding Joy in my Kitchen
**For the most part, I stayed true to Sno’s rendition of the recipe.  For hers, click here.  For the original, click here.
It may look like a lot of ingredients, but you probably have all of these on hand.
  •  2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
  • 4 slices of bacon, diced
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 2-3 c. bowtie pasta
  • 1/2 of a large onion, diced
  •  1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 TBSP spicy brown mustard
  • 1 TBSP + 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 cup milk + 2/3 cup milk, divided
  • 1/8 c. flour 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • a pinch of fresh parsley 
  1. Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
  2. Cook chicken and bacon together in a skillet until done.
  3. Add onion and garlic.  Cook until onion is tender.
  4. Meanwhile, mix together 1/2 cup of the milk and your flour.
  5. When onion is tender, pour in milk and flour mix.  Stir.
  6. Add peas, additional milk, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.  Stir and heat through.
  7. Add fresh parsley.  Stir in pasta.
  8. Top with freshly grated Parmesan if you want to lick your lips even more. 


P.S.--I know there have been a lot of recipe posts this  week.  I promise next week our lives will revolve around more things than our kitchen, but for now we're enjoying this yummy week!
     

    5 comments:

    1. Rachel, This chicken does look very moisty in all that great sauce and pasta. This is a very do-able reciope too.
      I am forwarding it to my daughter. Looks like it would be easy to make when you come home from a long day at work.
      Thanks!
      Hugs to you and Nathan, Auntie Yvonne

      ReplyDelete
    2. glad you enjoyed it!

      And... I always do that with forgetting to take chicken out :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Another great recipe that I will have to try.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Looks yummy... what better thing for life to revolve around than food HA

      ReplyDelete
    5. Lol! I love your witty little narratives about the recipe and the back story you offer. It gives me a little piece of you even though you are oh so far away!

      xoxo & Happy Weekend :)

      ReplyDelete

    We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
    All the best,

    Rachel