Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Recap + May 10 Menu Plan

I hope everyone had a very happy Mother's Day! 


Last year during Mother's Day weekend, I was busy graduating from college and planning a wedding.  This year, it was nice to just relax and spend time with the family without all the hustle and bustle.  Here we are May 9, 2009.  (I have no clue why we didn't take a mother/daughter picture this year.)

This year, me and my mom enjoyed a nice day after church of shopping at the Goodwill, topped off with some yummy Starbucks coffee.  It's become our weekly girl treat on Sunday's.  My dad also was kind enough to cook lunch for my sweet mom--yummy steaks, baked potatoes and salad.  Can you believe we woke up on Mother's Day to snow?!?!  It was about 35 degrees, and flurrying pretty steady.  It never stuck, but it flurried for about 2 hours.  Crazy!


I decided this year for Mother's Day to cook up a new treat for my mom.  She loves Peanut Butter as much as I do, and when I found this recipe, I knew it would be a hit!  Nothing says "I love you" to my mom like a hand-made peanut butter treat.


Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles--How Sweet It Is
*I had to increase the measurements for mine for some reason--I'm not sure if I made the balls too big, or if my pretzels were just a bit finer chopped, but you really can't mess this up if you tried!  The below ratios are what worked for me, but for the original recipe, click here.


Mine look a little messy, but the messier the better! (Or at least that's what my grandpa always says.)




  • 1 c. Peanut Butter
  • 1 c. Pretzels, chopped in a food processor or by hand
  • 1 c. semi sweet, milk  or dark chocolate chip pieces, melted

  1. Mix peanut butter and pretzels together.  Place in freezer for 30 minutes, or until firm.
  2. Roll into balls.
  3. Melt chocolate.
  4. Roll balls into melted chocolate.
  5. Place balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
  6. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until hardened.
  7. Makes about 20 balls.








This week, we're still trying out some of those yummy recipes I've been finding.  I'm also excited to make a new yummy treat on Thursday for our Ladies Night Out group at church.  It's one I've been eying for quite some time. 


It's a short one in the kitchen this week--hubby and I are taking a much-needed vacation! On Friday we head out for a short weekend of camping at a new spot in Ithaca.  This time, we're really "roughing" it--no air mattress or electric hook-up (yikes!).


Don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for tons of menu plan ideas!


Monday: Crock Pot Honey Mustard Lime Chicken w/ rice and veggies
Tuesday: Chicken Suiza Sammies (with the leftover lime chicken)
Wednesday: Chicken BLT Pasta
Thursday: (Leftovers for Nathan while I'm at Ladies Night Out)--I'll be taking some yummy Oreo Truffles
Friday: Camping!
Saturday: Camping!
Sunday: Driving back home.

4 comments:

  1. so glad you enjoyed a quiet Mother's Day this year!! We got to celebrate with our mom's this year, which was so much fun!!

    it didn't snow here... but many places did get snow this weekend. yuck.

    Can't wait to hear about the BLT pasta -- sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, sounds like a perfect Mother's Day! And you and your mom had girl time together. And the gift from your kitchen is right up my alley too! Delicious! What a good daughter.

    Your menu sounds very yummy. I would love the to make that chicken blt pasta. That is so me!
    Hugs to you and Nathan,
    Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, snow! Granny told me Mother's Day about the weather there. Hopefully, you will see the sun soon. So glad to hear that you and Aunt Sylvia had a wonderful Mother's Day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow on mother's day -that's unbelievable! Glad you're so close to your mom!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel