Thursday, May 6, 2010

Enchilada Casserole: A New Atwood Favorite

Y'all are well aware by now that hubby and I have a love for all things Mexican food.  We eat it about once a week around here, and I'm always searching for new Mexican recipes.  When I saw this one was a favorite around Laura's family over at I'm an Organizing Junkie, I knew we had to try it.  It comes from Taste of Home, and their recipes come highly recommended.


We weren't disappointed.  In fact, hubby messaged me at work when he tried it for lunch yesterday and these were his words exactly, "Wow!  This is amazing!  Great job.  A new favorite.  I'm on my second helping now."


I had two helpings too (shhh) the night before.  


Enchilada Casserole -- Taste of Home

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 (10 oz) can of enchilada sauce
  • 6 flour tortillas (we only used 4--I accidentally misread the directions.  It still tasted good, and I didn't even miss those extra calories!)
  • 1 c. of your favorite salsa
  • 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 c. frozen corn

Brown your ground beef.  Drain.  Add in enchilada sauce and salsa and heat through.

Grease a deep baking dish, and layer 2 tortillas on the bottom.

Once meat mixture is heated through, add 1/3 of mixture on top of tortillas.  Spread evenly.

Add 1 c. of frozen corn.

Then add 1 c. of the cheese.

Continue layering like this for 2 more times (or if you're like me and can't read directions, 1 more time)

End your layer with 2 tortillas, and top with remaining mixture and cheese (your cheese and meat should be the last 2 things on top).

Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Serve topped with sour cream, if you so choose.  I chose, and it was mighty delicious!

14 comments:

  1. Looks so easy - could be the new lasagna for take to church dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Corey wouldn't eat the corn, I think I'll substitute black or pinto beans! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog and thought you might want some tips on Mexican food. Out here in AZ we eat PLENTY of it! :) I always use the frozen roasted corn from trader joes and add a little chipotle puree (1can of embasa chipotle peppers in adobo sauce pureed in a food processor, then freeze the remaining.) it adds sooo much flavor! If you can get your hands on Cotija cheese too, that's the bomb! Lastly, I use creme fraiche (fancy french name for sour cream) from trader joes also and add green chili's to it:) Enjoy!! I've got an awesome recipe for black beans if you're interested? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM, gonna have to try that one. I tried (many years ago) a similar recipe but instead of the tortillas, it called for chips which got soggy & gross. Must try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting up a grocery list right now...going to try this one...we Levell's love Mexican dishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous!!! I might have to change my menu plan and include this one this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to trying this recipe this week! found it @ OrgJunkie.com :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love easy and this certainly looks easy.
    Don't have to roll the tortilla. Love that. Not messy.
    I will sure try this one.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. so. i know it has been a long time since you have posted this recipe, but i found it on organizing junkie last month! i was able to try it last night...DELICIOUS! i also only used 4 tortillas, not on purpose though. i guess i was too generous with my first meat layer and only had enough for one more! :)
    thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ALSO- we are having lasagna with ground beef tomorrow, so i used GROUND CHICKEN instead...just an idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea to used ground chicken! Thanks for sharing :) So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  11. I cant tell why this is nathans fave! looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum...looks good. Rachel, thanks for the pictures, kind of a step by step. I'm still learning to cook and this recipe looks relatively easy adn yummy! I like your menu for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the menu! This recipe is one of our favorites, and so easy to pull together! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel