Wednesday, April 28, 2010

When Seasons Change

Yesterday in Upstate New York it snowed.  I kid you not, ladies and gentlemen.  Last I checked, it was almost May and my tulips were loving all the glorious sunshine they'd been getting.  I planted my garden already (much to a lot of people's dismay), and all of our winter stuff is packed in boxes.  It's been in the mid- to upper 60s lately, for crying out loud.  When I left the house yesterday morning it was 37 degrees and snowing.  Thank you, weird Rochester--you've truly disappointed this southern-born gal!

It got me thinking though, about how quickly seasons can change.  Not only weather wise, but in our life.  Currently, my Bible study group is studying There is a Season by Laurie Cole.  It's truly beautiful, and I've learned a lot about the seasons of many ancient Bible characters.  Not only that, but Laurie really challenges the reader to look at their personal seasons of life.  It's taken a lot to look back into some of my more "winter" seasons, but God has been showing me that through every season of life--He's there.  

Here's a breakdown of the different seasons Laurie describes we go through:
  • Spring--when life is joyous and peaceful, when we feel bright and alive, when most everything in our life seems warm and wonderful
  • Summer--when life heats up and we find ourselves seizing new opportunities and responsibilities resulting in a more accelerated way of life
  • Fall--when the winds of change begin to blow through our lives leaving us feeling unsteady, uneasy, and unsure
  • Winter--when we face prolonged challenges and difficult circumstances, when we feel isolated and alone, when life seems cold and hard
God has been revealing to me (through this study and through my husband) that I'm not one for unexpected change.  Nathan's completely the opposite.  Unexpected change doesn't intimidate him, but it scares the living daylights out of me.  The other day when our hot water was out for 4 hours?  He shrugged, I cried.  When we first moved in our house and our basement leaked? He vacuumed the water up with a shop vac, I may or may not have freaked out just a bit. You get the point . . . when unexpected change takes place, I quickly think the worst . . . "We'll forever be without hot water!" or, "Our house will drown with us inside!"

But yesterday I read a quote in Laurie's Bible study, and realized that life is much easier if we can let go of our anxieties about unexpected change.  No matter what season of life we find ourselves in currently, this is a powerful thought to revel in.  It comes from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.
"If you yourself do not cut the lines that tie you to the dock, God will have to use a storm to sever them and to send you out to sea . . . If you believe in Jesus, you are not to spend all your time in the calm waters just inside the harbor, full of joy, but always tied to the dock.  You have to get out past the harbor into the great depths of God . . . " (p.76)
Laurie follows this with her own remarks:
"Don't wait for the waves of a stormy season to force you 'out to sea' in your walk with God.  This week, let go of the status quo.  Set sail.  Follow God." (p.77) 
So what season do you find yourself in?  Do you have difficult letting go, and letting God?  I'd love to chat about this some more!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! So very true - another book I will have to add to my "to read" list.
    Have you checked out GoodReads.com - you can create a "to read", "read" and "currently-reading" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am one that does not like unexpected change... hence why I've been anxious about fire since our neighboring building burnt down.

    We're definitely in a fall season right now... winds of change, which tempt me to worry and stress rather than TRUST that God's in control and He will lead us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a season where I've walked with God a long time and I thought that I would not still be battling anxiety, doubt, etc. It seems I keep learning the same lessons over and over - maybe I'm slow HA. God is patient and continues to work on/with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful bible study. I'm in the midst of my winter right now but I know God is big enough to see me through! I can't fully appreciate the spring and summer without my 'winter'!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel