Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wedding Love and Make-Ahead Recipes

Last night, I went with a friend to watch her try on wedding dresses!  She and her fiancé just got engaged, and the wedding is in August.  I’m especially excited and honored to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding—there is nothing more fun to me than getting all dressed up and being a part of someone’s special day.  Can I just say how much I love weddings?!?!  And is it corny that now that I’m married, I love them even more?!?  I hope not.  I just love sitting next to Nathan while we attend a wedding and smiling at him as if to say, “Remember when we did this?”

OK.  That might have crossed over into Cheeseville, but oh well.  :)

Where was I?

Yes . . . last night I was out with a friend.  This meant that dinner needed to be make-ahead.  So, Tuesday night I prepared a new casserole dish I found from Pillsbury, refrigerated it overnight and had hubby bake it in the oven last night.  I got home from dress shopping and dinner was ready!  I adapted this a bit based on our tastes, but overall it was pretty good.  I think this recipe would definitely be a hit with kids, and it's one I'll keep in our favs in case of another make-ahead night.

Make Ahead Pizza Casserole -- adapted from Pillsbury.com


  • 1 lb. ground turkey (you could also try beef, or as the recipe suggests, Italian sausage)
  • 15 oz. Ragu Traditional pasta sauce (the recipe suggested pizza sauce, but I used this instead)
  • 1 (14 oz) can Italian style tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 c. penne pasta, uncooked (or any kind of pasta, really)
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
  • I also added about 1 TBSP of Italian Pizza Seasonings (I found this at a Amish  grocery story nearby.  I'm not sure how much flavor it really added, but I needed to use it up, so I threw it in.)

  1. Brown meat until done.  Drain fat.
  2. In an ungreased 3 quart baking dish, stir together sauce, water, seasonings (if used), tomatoes, uncooked pasta and meat.  Make sure pasta is covered in sauce.  Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
  3. When ready to bake, heat oven to 350 degrees, cover pan in foil and bake for 1 hour or until bubbly.
  4. Remove foil.  Stir.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Cook additional 5 minutes or until melted.


2 comments:

  1. The pizza casserole looks delicious!! I just might have to try it!

    P.S. I've nominated you for an award, stop on by to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "heart" weddings! I love watching them on tv, being in the audience, or a bridesmaid. They are a wonderful celebration!
    And yummy casserole!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel