Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Security is Ours

If you're still with me on this So Long Insecurity journey, then I hope what I've learned so far has somehow helped you to look at your insecurities in a different light.  I know I've learned so much from Beth's new book, and I've been so delighted to share it with you!


I'm especially delighted to share today's lesson with you, because this is where the changing takes place.  Up until this point, we've been realizing a lot about insecurity, but we both know realizing something doesn't make us change--we have to change our thinking so it can change our actions.


So far, we've realized what insecurity is, we've identified our roots of insecurity and we've seen how ugly it can be.  Today I want to share with you the simple tool to security.   It’s so simple really, that I felt silly I had never seen it before.  It actually comes from the same verse I wrote about several months ago.  

“She is clothed with strength and dignity . . .”—Proverbs 31: 25

Beth explains in her book that this chapter (Prov. 31) is sometimes called the “virtuous woman.”  A lot of times we look at this Proverbs 31 lady and think to ourselves, “I’ll never be all  of that.”  She was quite the woman!

But Beth brings out a truth from God’s Word in her book that I want to share with you that just absolutely blew my mind wide open.

I'm sure we can all admit that when we feel insecure (or when we're having one of our "idiot moments"), that strength and dignity are the last characteristics we feel.  After all, this verse is talking about the Proverbs 31 woman, right?  So the strength and dignity in the verse are really hers, not ours, right?  Wrong!  Here's what Beth brings to light . . .

In Romans 13:14 (NIV), it says, "Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature."
"There is nothing weak about Him.  Pure, unadulterated power resting on our very shoulders.  Oh, beloved, you are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for.  If you are in Christ, you have divine power.  In your gravest weakness, His strength is perfected . . . If Christ is your Savior, sister, you are completely covered by a cloak of strength." (p.157)
 Hallelujah!  Aren't you glad we're already given that strength if we're Christians? Here are some other verses about our strength in Christ . . .


"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation . . . " Exodus 15:2

"Do not grieve for the joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

"God is our refuge an strength, and ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

I don't know about you, but it's nice to know at least the strength part of the verse in Proverbs is covered.  I may not be all the Proverbs 31 woman is, but I sure do have strength through Christ Jesus!

So, what about dignity?  Beth says the word "honor" is another word for dignity.  On days I'm acting or feeling insecure, I definitely don't feel very honorable.  She brings to light this sweet verse . . .

"When I consider the heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?  You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor." --Psalm 8:3-5



Do you see what I see, friends?  If we are in Christ, we’re already clothed with strength and dignity!  He’s given it to us.  We don’t have to work for it, or strive for it . . .it’s ours!  Beth says every time we feel our roots creeping in, we should say to ourselves, “I am clothed!!”  I will not let this root settle in me.  I will not let the enemy make me act like an idiot any longer.  I will be secure, because God made me secure.  He has clothed me in strength and dignity.  


I'll leave you with one last quote from Beth's book regarding this.  Think on this today, and allow these truths to take root in your heart . . .
"All insecurity is a cover-up for unbelief.  She is clothed with strength and dignity.  Believe it, sister." (p. 160)


5 comments:

  1. Love this Rachel! You've convinced me I am definitely reading this one! Thanks for sharing this :)

    I love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, This is just the most wonderful post! Beautiful written and full of truth and grace! You have given me much to think about and align my thoughts with. We must always align our thoughts with God's. He's right! And righteous! and faithful, good, pure....

    I have chosen your blog to be SG Blog of the Week. You will be featured in my sidebar.
    Thank you, Rachel. You are a delightful young woman. My best to Nathan.
    Blessings,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I am picking up this book next time I head out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!

    I love relishing in the TRUTH and the position that we have with Christ right now! It's awesome that we have a God who has given us all that we need and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How encouraging - and boy, do we need more of that! God has given us so much; I hate that I lose sight of it. Thanks for the much needed reminder. I'm copying those verses on index cards and putting them on the mirror!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel