Saturday, April 3, 2010

New Recipes this Week

Nathan and I tried out a couple of new recipes this past week.  I'm just now getting around to posting them, because it's been absolutely gorgeous outside this weekend!  Are you having nice weather too??  I sure hope so!  

This first recipe had me a little skeptical, but Nathan and I love anything Mexican-inspired, so I went with it.  Turns out, it was actually very yummy!  I especially loved the thin biscuit-y like crust on top--not too thick, not too thin.  Just right. :)

Fajita Chicken Pot Pie--taken from: Betty Crocker Ultimate Bisquick Cookbook


  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts; cubed and cooked
  • 1 3/4 c. chunky style salsa 
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 c. Bisquick mix (or any other type of baking mix--I used Jiffy)
  • 1/3 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (we used a little more to add on top before eating as well)
  • 1/2 c. milk
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  In 10-inch skillet, heat oil and add bell pepper, cook until crisp. Stir in chicken, salsa and water.  Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bubbly.  Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish.
  2. In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with wire whisk or fork until blended.  Pour over chicken mixture; carefully spread almost to edge of casserole.
  3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown.
  4. We topped this with a dallop of sour cream and extra shredded cheese.
We even got to enjoy this yummy dinner on our deck, sitting in our new patio furniture!

 
The other new recipe I tried this week was a dessert I'm taking to my parents house tomorrow for Easter Lunch.  I've never tried my hand at these before, so I was really proud of the way they turned out.

Luscious Lemon Bars--taken from: Better Homes & Gardens Breast Cancer Edition Cookbook 

 

**Disclaimer: Try not to freak out over how much butter is in this recipe.  I know it's a lot, but trust me--it's divine and you won't regret 1 TBSP of that butter-y goodness!! 
  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c. butter (just keep going . . .)
  • 4 slightly beaten eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 3 TBSP all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp shredded lemon peel
  • 3/4 c. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • Extra powdered sugar to sift on top
  1. In a large bowl, combine 2 c. of flour, 1/2 c. powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Using a pastry blender (or fork, in my case), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.  **Tip: I took the advice of my cookbook to line my pan with aluminum foil and then grease the foil.  None of my little bars stuck at all!  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 mins, or until edges are golden.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together eggs, sugar, 3 TBSP of flour, lemon peel, lemon juice and milk.  Pour filling over hot crust.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes, or until center is set.  Cool.  Cut into bars.  Cover and store in the refrigerator.
 
I hope you and yours celebrate a wonderful Easter weekend!!!






5 comments:

  1. YUM! Okay, I have decided to print all of your recipes and make a book called Rachel's Fab Recipes! I hope you all had a Happy & Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy- I'm going to make these for a MOPS meeting this week. They sound heavenly. Glad you had a nice Easter. Love the patio set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you guys had a great Easter! Those lemon bars look gooood. Have you seen the Lemon Crumb bars on PioneerWoman? I might attempt those this week. We made a Strawberry Pretzel Salad (truly a Southern food) for Easter lunch. Uncle David approved and had seconds - thus it had to be pretty good, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy- I'm going to make these for a MOPS meeting this week. They sound heavenly. Glad you had a nice Easter. Love the patio set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy- I'm going to make these for a MOPS meeting this week. They sound heavenly. Glad you had a nice Easter. Love the patio set.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel