Monday, April 12, 2010

Marital Monday + April 12 Menu Plan


I've concluded that a true test of marriage is building a garden together.  I'm sure you have your own "true test of marriage" story whether it be painting, wallpapering or hanging something in your house.  Let's just be honest, not all house projects are pretty.  Especially when you have two tired, sore, hungry, frustrated and stubborn individuals trying to work together.


It all started on Saturday morning around 9 AM.  Hubby and I had set the whole day aside to build and plant our very first vegetable garden.  We decided upon a 12x12 space near our deck.  Sounds pretty simple, right?  Well, who knew that you actually had to SHOVEL the grass up BEFORE you started tilling?!?!  Not us!  When we discovered this, we were both pretty peeved.  We then spent about 3 hours shoveling up our little plot, and let's just say a lot of bonding went down in the Atwood casa on Saturday.  I seriously don't think I've worked so hard in my whole life.  I was using muscles I didn't even know I had.  Someone really should have prepared us for how hard shoveling up grass was.  It sounds easy, but trust me--it can be quite tolling on the nerves.


Not to get too spiritual on you or anything, but I imagine Adam and Eve's first garden was a true test of their marriage too.  After all, they didn't have shovels.  I can just hear the conversation . . . 


Eve: "You're supposed to do it this way, Adam."
Adam: "You know what?  If you wouldn't have eaten that stupid fruit, we wouldn't even HAVE to till up the ground and plant our own food!"
Eve: "Oh, so you're saying this whole thing is my fault??"


You get the point. 


I'm going to have a LONG talk with the two of them one day.  


Needless to say, we did get our garden built and planted.  And we couldn't be prouder of the little thing.  We just hope it produces some vegetables, and I hope they are the best vegetables I've ever eaten.


Before

After grass shoveling
Do you see all those piles of grass??








Hubby and I are still recovering from a very long, busy weekend.  We had a big group visit our church this weekend and between entertaining, gardening and running around, we are spent!  This week, I've scoured my cookbooks for easy, quick, but also healthy meals.  We're trying a lot of new recipes this week, so I hope it goes well!


If you need menu plan ideas, don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie.  Her blog hosts tons of menu plans each Monday!


Monday: Nathan and I will be coming and going, so it'll be a fin for yourself night.
Tuesday: Easy Vegetable Soup (*new recipe*).  I'm adapting this recipe from Big Oven to fit our tastes.
Wednesday: Make Ahead Pizza Casserole (w/ Turkey). (*new recipe*)
Thursday: Leftover Night
Friday: Grill Night--BBQ Burgers (*new recipe*)
Saturday: Tomato Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf (*new recipe*)


Blessings for you this Monday!


4 comments:

  1. Awesome garden :)

    I love tomato basil chicken -- sounds like a tasty week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like HARD WORK!!!! And yes, I hope those vegetables are the best ever - they probably will be with all the blood, sweat, and tears HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl :) Good luck with all the veggies!!! Fresh ones are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I planted our first garden last year and thought it was going to be easy and it definitely wasn't! It looks like you did a wonderful job though, and just think how wonderful it will be to sit down to fresh homegrown veggies!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel