Thursday, April 8, 2010

In the Garden

Today I was planning to share the recipe for Maple Balsamic Chicken.  We had this last night and I got the recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks.  Needless to say, it was quite the flop.  We didn’t even get through the whole meal. 

Our table conversation went like this . . .

Nathan: “This tastes like dirt!”
Me:  “Honey!  Be nice.”
Nathan: “OK, it tastes a little like dirt.”

I told y’all I have a very honest husband!  Good thing this was a cookbook recipe and not something I came up with on my own—I think my security would’ve been a little tested! ;-)

Since I don’t have a recipe to share, I thought I'd give you a little tour of our garden.  Granted, it's not complete and we still have a long way to go, but this is what we have so far . . . 

I hope this makes you as anxious for spring/summer as we are!

This is what our front bed looked like last year when we moved in.
Can we say unkempt??  Look at those wild bushes in the background!


This is what our front bed looks like now.  Old bushes ripped out, new ones to come this Saturday.
New daffodils, tulips and evergreen golden globes planted, mulched and no weeds!  



Here's a closer look at the little shrubs we planted last Saturday--aren't they so cute?

Here's a close up of the daffodils that are blooming! :)


And we noticed these little guys coming up in our side flower bed. 
Any of you green thumbs know what these are called??  We haven't the slightest clue!


There's a white one too . . . 


My wisteria tree out back is even starting to bud!

The grass is cut!

And the most exciting thing that's blooming . . . 
Our veggies!!  It'll be our first ever veggie garden!
So far, we've got lettuce, broccoli, onions and carrots sprouting inside ready to be transplanted soon.

It's so nice having green stuff in the house!  
Nathan even picked me up an Easter bouquet last week

OK, I officially have spring fever!  What's in your garden this year?  

6 comments:

  1. yea :) Love that your growing a garden this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not sure what those flowers are called but I have a flower book so I will look it up.
    Your garden, house, yard & flowers look great! Yay for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooo!!!! I love those purple flowers :) They are beautiful! I am so proud of you and your garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure those are called hyacinths. I am not an expert, but think that is right.Rachel, go to my blog to see all the goodies from our Rummage sale from the Jr. League of Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the recipe flop -- that's the most aggravating thing to me! Especially because I usually find myself telling Chase over and over, "I promise I did exactly what the recipe said!". haha Chase's most sensitive flop dinner comment is probably, "Let's not make this again." Bless him. He always eats it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna--Nathan's the same way :) He just smothers whatever the "flop recipe" is in BBQ sauce, and then he can stomach it better. LOL

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel