Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Homemade (sort of) Chicken Noodle Soup

OK, so I didn’t actually make the noodles myself or use the bird bones to create a broth. In fact, I didn't even COOK the chicken, but this is still homemade in my opinion because I didn’t pop open that red and white can and pour it into a saucepan. 

I got the base for this recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook, but I didn’t have the time to let it simmer the full 2 hours like they recommended, so I took a few shortcuts.

I don’t know why I haven’t been making homemade chicken noodle soup all this time.  I think it’s because my grandmother sets the bar high with her delicious homemade chicken noodle soup, and to be quite honest . . . I’ve been too scared to make it myself.

This actually turned out really yummy and I’m so glad I took the leap to try and make it.  Next time, I might even get bold enough to cook the bird myself and make my own broth. 

Homemade (Sort of) Chicken Noodle Soup—adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook



  •  1 cooked rotisserie chicken (or, feel free to cook your own bird)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 cans chicken broth (I used Swanson, all natural)
  • 2 c. water
  • 2 TBSP parsley 
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 c. pasta (the recipe called for 1 1/2 c., but I like a lot of noodles in mine--we used egg noodles)

  1. Tear meat off of chicken.  Set aside.
  2. Cut up veggies and place them in a large stock pot or dutch oven.  Cook on medium heat until semi-soft (about 8-10 minutes).
  3. Meanwhile, in a large pan, boil pasta as directed on box.
  4. Once veggies are soft, add chicken broth, water, chicken, parsley and bay leaf.  Cover and bring to a boil.  
  5. Drain pasta and add noodles to chicken broth/veggie mix.  Keep covered and let boil 10 minutes, or until heated through and veggies are soft.
  6. Remove bay leaf.  Add salt, if desired.


3 comments:

  1. Congradulations on the soup! We are big soup eater here.
    I often use a rotisserie chicken. Just one hint- I never put the noodles in my soup. They end up getting soggy. I make them and keep them in a seperate bowl. When it is tiime to serve, I put the noodles in the bottom of the bowl and add hot soup.

    Yummy recipe!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny would be proud :) Looks Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is homemade to me! I made Paula Deen's broccoli casserole last night and it was delish. I need to add a few extras to it but it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel