Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

As I planned our menu for this week, I was really at a loss for what to cook.  We have a hodgepodge of things in our freezer right now that we need to eat up, and I couldn’t really decide how to put them all together.  Do you ever have this dilemma?  I had a lot of veggies in the freezer that I wanted to use, so I thought . . . Vegetable Soup!  I’ve never made this before, but I did make Minestrone Soup not too long ago and it turned out quite yummy, so I thought I’d give it a try.  However, Nathan isn’t too crazy about a meatless dinner, so I thought I’d throw in some cooked ground beef for my meat-lovin’ man.

The hardest part of this meal was figuring out which vegetable soup recipe I wanted to use.  There is a plethora of veggie soup recipes out there!  On Monday I was set on this one from Big Oven, but I also had my eye on this one from Martha Stewart.  Then, Monday night I found this one in my BH&G cookbook and finally decided to use it as my base. 

The verdict? This soup was so easy to throw together, chocked full of veggies and loaded with yummy flavor!  I'll be making this one again.  Hubby ate every single veggie--okra, peas, Lima beans, carrots, potatoes, TOMATOES (I hope he doesn't read this), onions, corn and green beans!  I wonder if he knew how many veggies were in that soup?!?  ;-)


Hamburger Vegetable Soup -- adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook




  • 1 lb. ground beef (I'm sure you could use turkey or chicken too)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (14 oz) can tomatoes, undrained (I had the Italian style with garlic and oregano--it made the soup extra yummy)
  • 1 (16 oz) bag frozen soup vegetables
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 4 c. beef broth (I used 4 beef bouillon cubes, with 5 1/2 cups of water)
  • Salt & Pepper, if desired


  1. Cook beef and onions together until meat is done.  Drain fat.
  2. Add to large stockpot with beef broth, veggies, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and basil.
  3. Bring to rapid boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, This DOES look yummy! I'm going to try this over the weekend. Very easy, especially when canned or frozen veggies are used.
    You are a wonderful young homemaker!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved when my mom used to make this for dinner. YUMMY!
    I just make vegetable soup without the hamburger meat (picky husband). But you may want to try Down Home with the Neely's Pork Chop Vegetable soup - it is delish too!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel