Friday, April 30, 2010

Fancy Feast

Every now and then, I like a fancy dinner.  This craving usually comes on when hubby is at work, and I can take about 2 hours to cook up a nice meal for myself (which turns into nice leftovers for him when he gets home).  Last night was a fancy dinner night.


I recently stumbled upon The Girl Who Ate Everything and discovered her post for Tomato Basil Chicken with Cashew Rice Pilaf.  That even sounds fancy, doesn't it? I couldn't wait to make it, but I wasn't about to pay $4 for a can of cashews! They finally went on sale at hubby's work, and I was so excited to try this new recipe out.


Tomato Basil Chicken -- The Girl Who Ate Everything got this recipe from Stephanie Jensen

  • 1 TBSP Butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes
  • I didn't have fresh basil, so I used 2 TBSP dried basil.  If you're using fresh, use 1/2 c. julienned.
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (*I didn't have this on hand, so I used 3/4 c. milk mixed with 1/3 c. melted butter)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat butter in skillet 
(yes, there is a lot of butter in this recipe, but who cares?  Fancy feasts require some indulgence)


Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent (about 5 min.)
Is it just me, or does the mix of onion and butter smell like Heaven?

Increase heat to HIGH; add tomatoes and cook until liquid is almost evaporated

Add cream (or butter+milk, in my case) and bring to boil until thickened (about 3 mins.)

Stir in Basil, Salt and Pepper.  
Place chicken in a shallow baking dish; pour sauce on top.

Bake for 25-30 mins. 

Now for the rice . . . 

  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1/3 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. uncooked regular long grain rice
  • 2 c. chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. cashews, coarsely chopped
  • I used 1 TBSP dried parsley, but if you're using fresh then use 1/4 c. chopped

Do that butter in the saucepan thing again . . .


And add the onions . . .
And let that smell take your breath away.

Add rice; stir until coated.

Stir in broth and salt.  

Cover; simmer 24-30 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.  

While that's cooking, chop up some cashews

When the rice is done, stir in cashews and parsley.
Yummmm

And when the chicken's done, put that on top of the rice pile (if you have any left)

How's that for a fancy meal?  And it didn't even take 2 hours! :)




5 comments:

  1. I laughed at the title - I thought maybe you got a cat & it was about cat food.
    May have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how was that fancy feast? Looks delicious! Way to go!

    We are youth advisors for a senior high youth group....we love working with the kids.

    I hope you have a great weekend:-) thanks for sharing that recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, sounds like Missy had a blonde moment :)

    The dinner looks delish! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chicken part... yummy!

    Enjoy your lock-in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rachel! I haven't stopped by your blog in a while! This looks soooo yummy! I love anything with rice. I think I may have to pass this recipe on to my Mom, so she can cook it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel