Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner

I thought I’d post some yummy new recipes hubby and I have been eating this week from our menu plan. 

Monday night, we tried SnoWhite’s Lemon Herby Chicken (isn’t it just so fun saying the word “herby” out loud??  Try it.  You know you want to!)

This recipe was so delicious!  The chicken was super-tender, fell right off of the bone, was full of flavor and easy to make.  I threw everything in my Crock Pot the night before, set it on low the next morning and came home from work and my entire kitchen smelled so good and dinner was ready in 6 minutes!  Oh, Crockpot, how we love thee!

My picture is a little fuzzy--I was using the hub's camera


If you want her full recipe, head on over to her blog by clicking here.  The only thing I did different was to substitute Italian Seasoning for the oregano—we don't have that herb fresh yet.  I served this dish with some yummy green peas.  We’ll definitely be using this recipe again.  Thanks, Sno!

Since there were 6 chicken legs in my pack, I cooked all of them with the lemon herby mix but to add some variety to our menu plan, I tore the meat off of 3 of the legs after they were done cooking and put it aside for last night’s dinner—BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.  There was just enough meat to make 2-3 good-sized sandwiches, so none of that delicious chicken went to waste!



I thought with all that flavor in the chicken, you can’t go wrong smothering it in BBQ sauce and slapping it in a bun.  I was right!  These were yummy too. 


One of my dad's favorite things to do is jazz up regular BBQ sauce and make it delicious.  He never tells me what's in his "special sauce," so I thought I'd try my hand at it last night with our chicken BBQ sandwiches.  Mine turned out pretty good, so I think my dad has some competition now! :)  I like my sauce a little on the spicy side, so if you like less spice, then you could just leave out the Red Pepper Flakes all together.

Jazzed-Up BBQ Sauce--The Atwoods
  • 1/2 c. Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 1/2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 TSP Spicy Brown Mustard
  • 1/2 TSP Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 TSP Garlic Powder
  • 1 TSP Onion Flakes
  • 1 TBSP Brown Sugar
  • Shredded carrots (you can't see them in the picture, and that's the point!  Hubby won't ever know this sandwich has veggies in it ;o)  wahaha)
Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over low until blended.  Pour over chicken and slap in a bun! 


2 comments:

  1. Yummy - I'm going to try the herby chicken - I just had to include it in my comment HA

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel