Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Homemade Cleaning Products, Part IV


For the past three weeks, I’ve been testing homemade cleaning products versus store bought brands.  I’ve learned how to make window and glass cleanerfloor cleaner and tub and toilet cleaner.  Today, I wanted to share some last minute tips for homemade cleaners and answer a few questions about the recipes . . .

  • A friend from down south asked me what we were using on our countertops. We don’t have anything fancy like granite, so what I’ve done is just sprinkle a little of the Borax on a warm cloth and wipe down my counters.  The Borax (because it’s in a powder form) will leave a gritty overlay on your counter. Simply rinse your cloth with water and wipe them down again.  This leaves them clean, shiny and odor free!
  • My mom has laminate flooring in her kitchen, morning room and hallway. She used the homemade floor cleaner recipe (vinegar+water), and actually found that it stripped some of the shine from her floor.  I didn’t have this problem with my ceramic tile, so if you have laminate flooring, just be cautious that it may not produce the same results.  My only guess for why it did this is because she added too much vinegar.  All you need for floor cleaner is 1 TBSP of vinegar and 4 cups of warm water.  A little goes a long way!

Making my own cleaning products has been a fun experiment, and I’m so happy to report that we’ve decided to stick with it!  You really can’t beat the price of making your own, and I just love the fresh, clean smell the homemade products give off compared to the store bought brands. 

If you decide to make the switch to homemade cleaning products, you might find yourself in the same boat we are . . .  wondering what in world to do with all the store bought stuff you already have!  If so, consider donating those to a local charity or church.  For instance, our church has a cleaning closet and those items are used each week by someone who cleans our church.  I’m sure they’ll be happy to get some free cleaning items, and I’ll be happy to get some free space in my stockpile!

There are dozens of other homemade cleaning products that you can make—the recipes I posted were just the most commonly used items in our home.  Ginny over at GiGi's Treats and Frugal Tips left me a comment about her homemade cleaning products, so be sure and check out her recipes too!  I also found a great website that has some good tips and recipes as well--Organized Home.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little experiment with me.  Happy cleaning!


2 comments:

  1. Loved your ideas and observations... and I love the new look to your blog - new pictures!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel