Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crock Pot Lovin'

Monday I posted we were having Broccoli and Cheese Soup for dinner.  It was a new recipe I found from this site that I’m rapidly falling in love with.  Who knew you could do so much with a Crock Pot??

You may have noticed that just about every Monday night we eat from our Crock Pot.  That’s because Monday’s are crazy!  I have about 45 minutes to prepare dinner before I’m out the door for Bible Study.  Nights like this make me so grateful for whoever invented the Crock Pot.  A genius, they were.

Anyway.  The verdict for the soup was . . . 

I made a little oopsie with this recipe.  I accidentally read to add 1 TSP of salt, and the recipe actually called for 1 TSP KOSHER salt.  These two are quite different.  Needless to say, I could only eat half a bowl out of fear my blood pressure would sky rocket if I kept on going.

Nathan, on the other hand, enjoyed the soup in all its saltiness.  However, he did comment “I probably won’t eat this again.”  My man is so honest.  Bless him.

So, if you should recreate this, don’t use regular salt.  Other than that, it had a nice flavor and I enjoyed the texture after I blended it.

Crock Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup – from Stephanie @ A Year of Slow Cooking

  • 2 (10) ounce bags of frozen broccoli florets
  • 2 c. half and half (or you can use 2% milk.  I just used the half and half because we had some extra that I needed to use up)
  • 1 TSP black pepper
  • 1 TSP KOSHER salt
  • 1 TSP nutmeg
  • 3 c. shredded cheese – I chose the Jarlsberg and Extra Sharp White (don’t use that bagged cheese, y’all.  You gotta’ get the good stuff!) 
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • ½ medium white onion, minced (I just used my Cuisinart to get it into really small pieces)
All you do is  . . .
  1. Add the onion to your Crock Pot, top it with milk, broth and spices.   
  2. Stir in broccoli.   
  3. Cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, and 20 minutes before serving, add cheese.   
  4. Since the soup was a little chunkier than I prefer Broccoli and Cheese soup, I took the suggestion to add it to my blender for a few seconds.

2 comments:

  1. oh no! sorry about the soup mishap with the salt!! looks mighty tasty though.

    we had broccoli soup last night... with spinach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! looks delish!
    PS - I love your new header!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel