Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekend Recap: Cornish Game Hens

Nathan and I had a great weekend together.  He was off Friday night and all day Saturday (something that rarely happens).  We took full advantage!  I'll post a little bit more about it tomorrow during Marital Monday, so be sure and check back!


One part of our weekend that I did want to share was the romantic dinner for Nathan that I mentioned last week.  I planned this for Saturday night, and it was the perfect night to stay indoors, watch movies and enjoy a nice, big dinner.


I've never prepared Cornish Game Hens prior to this, so I did a lot of recipe research.  Alton Brown (my 2nd favorite Food Network Chef next to Ina) had some great tips on preparing these cute little birds.  He prepares them with bacon and even has prepared them on a Panini Press before!  I wasn't feeling that adventurous, so I took a few tips from this recipe posted on AllRecipes.com and hoped for the best!


Cornish Game Hens (adapted from AllRecipes.com)


Here's what I did:

  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to baste
  • Butter
  • 2 TBSP garlic, minced
  • 1 lemon, quartered
  • 2 TSP dried rosemary (and a little extra for sprinkling on top)

  1. First, I got the Tyson Game Hens (they don't have giblets inside, so I was protecting myself from the last giblet incident we had)
  2. Second, I rinsed them off with water 
  3. Then, I took about 5-6  little pieces of butter and tucked them under the skin of the hen
  4. I basted them down with olive oil on both sides
  5. I quartered a lemon, and stuck 1 quarter inside each carcass of the hen.  Then, I took the other half of the lemon and squeezed the juice on top of the bird
  6. I put 1 TSP rosemary and 1TBSP minced garlic inside each carcass
  7. I placed the hens in a lasagna pan (it was the perfect size for these little guys)
  8. I cooked them on 350 degrees for about 1 hr and 25 mins (the package said 1 hr, but ours needed a little more cooking time)
Here's the finished product!  Isn't she (or he) beautiful??!?  I served these up with SnoWhite's roasted asparagus, and Nathan made his infamous mashed potatoes.  It was such a romantic and filling dinner!


2 comments:

  1. what a nice looking bird! way to go :) hope you enjoyed your romantic dinner together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Those look delish. I have made Drunk Chicken with these but this looks yummy too. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel