Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Homemade Cleaning Products, Part II


You may remember my glass cleaner success from last weeks post.  Well, this week I tried out a few more homemade cleaning products and I'm happy to report, they are working fabulously!  


Before I tell you about this weeks cleaning product, I do have to say that my management minded hubby figured out that my homemade glass cleaner from last week cost about a whopping $.10 to make (yes, that's ten cents!!).  That's a whole bottle, mind you.  And, I also have to share that Nathan even remarked how shiny our mirror was after cleaning with the homemade stuff!  I was impressed.  It even cleaned our sink and shower nozzles and knobs nicely too.


This weeks homemade cleaning product was toilet bowl cleaner.  Normally, I clean my toilets with Comet or Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner.  These can run up to $2.99 a bottle, and again can leave me running out of the room from the strong smell.


The homemade toilet bowl cleaning recipe is:

  • 1 TBSP baking soda
  • Drizzle of vinegar
All you do is pour the baking soda in, and drizzle the vinegar around the bowl.  This is when the magic happens . . . you'll notice it start to fizz up (I was so excited when this happened--for some reason it made me feel like it was really cleaning).  Let the mixture set for 30 minutes and then scrub with a brush as usual.  


I wish I had an impressive B&A picture, but our toilet wasn't that nasty to begin with, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your toilet bowl cleaner. I've been looking for one and haven't found a suitable one. I'm almost out of my toilet cleaner so when I'm out, I'll try yours.
    I have some of my own homemade cleaners here...http://ginnyrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/homemade-household-cleaners.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this... I don't like the smell of vinegar, so I've been putting off trying homemade cleaners. But, I don't think I can do that any more... 10 cents is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel