Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Homemade Cleaning Products


I know I haven’t done a Thrifty Thursday post in quite some time.  I've been brainstorming ways to get this up and running again.  So, trying something new . . . 


I decided that for the next couple of posts I’ll be doing a comparison on homemade vs. store bought products.  I recently became intrigued by this after a presenter came to my work and talked about Healthy Homes.  I had no idea all those store bought chemicals were way more expensive than homemade and way more harsh for our bodies as we breathe them in.   


For the next few weeks, I’ll be testing out some different homemade and safe cleaning alternatives and comparing them with what we have here at home that we bought from the store.  I’ll not only compare the cleaning quality of the products, but also the price to give you an idea of which is the better deal overall. 


I’ll be honest; this experiment could go either way.  We get great deals on cleaning products.  But, I also have to admit, those toxins are harsh smelling and they sometimes leave me disappointed in their cleaning ability (or lack thereof). 


Today I started with something simple: window cleaner.  I got this recipe and many more from a great resource.  Click here to check it out. 


I was using Windex on our glass here at home, and boy did it have a strong smell!  We paid about $2 and some change for one bottle of it.  


So, I used the safer alternative for window cleaner (recipe below) and compared the two.


This is my homemade alternative cleaner--despite the label :)



All you need for alternative window cleaner is:


2 TSP vinegar
4 c. water


OR


½ TBSP borax
¾ c. water 


All you do is mix together in a spray bottle (pour water in first), spray on the surface of your window and then rub dry. 


The verdict:  Both the Windex and Alternative cleaned the same.  The only exception was I had to rub a little longer on the glass of the alternative cleaner to get it streak free.  However, I will say--the alternative is WAY cheaper (you only use 2 tsp of vinegar and it makes a whole bottle!) and smells much better!  I love the fresh, clean smell that vinegar gives off, and the Windex almost gave me a headache.  I'm sold on this homemade cleaning alternative!


Do you know any other homemade ways to clean glass?  Feel free to leave me a comment and share your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for the recipe - I knew you could make your own but never did the research to get a "recipe."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I have to try this. I clean windows daily so this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried this today to clean the windows on our four season porch (there are 12 + a HUGE sliding glass door)... and it worked beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel