Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Short of It + What's for Dinner?

So, I left a tidbit of information out about my weekend . . .

In the midst of relaxing, I also got my haircut.  I mean, really cut.  It hasn’t been this short since high school and I can’t even put it into a ponytail, y’all!

I wanted to wait and post the picture until after I had washed and styled it at least once myself; ensuring I could replicate what the stylist had done.

And, I’ll be honest.  I love it!  



I use less than half of the shampoo I was using before (saving us money, my handsome hubby would probably point out).  And, the best part is . . . it only takes me 5 minutes to blow dry.  You who know me are probably shaking your heads right now in disbelief, but I’m serious—only 5 minutes!  Now, hubby and I won’t be pushing each other out of the way in the bathroom so often, and it’ll leave me time to catch some much needed zzz’s.  Thank you, hair stylist!

Moving from vanity to cookery . . .


Tonight I cooked up a new little recipe -- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry.  Around here, we love anything Chinese-y and lately I’ve been on a big broccoli binge.  I decided to put the two together and pair it with some rice.  It was a big hit and super easy to make.  This one’s definitely making its way into the easy recipe collection. 

If you’re not a big fan of beef, I’m sure it would taste just as yummy with some chicken or shrimp too!  

I got the basics for the recipe from RecipeZaar.com (click here for the original) which was posted by a user who found it in Taste Of Home, but after reading through some reviews, I changed a few things to lessen the salt intake and increase the flavor.  Here’s what I did:


Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry (adapted from Chris at RecipeZaar)
  • 1 pound stir fry beef or thinly sliced steak
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 TSP ginger
  • 1/4 c. soy 
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli or 1 head fresh broccoli
  • 2 TBSP apple juice (got this tip from good ole' Martha Stewart!)
  • 3 TBSP Cornstarch* (I didn't add this in, but I can see where the recipe needs it--my sauce was a little runny, so I'm sure this thickens up quite a  bit--next time I'll add this in.)
  1. In a wok or deep skillet, pour 1 TBSP olive oil into low heat pan.  Add 2 TBSP minced garlic and 1 medium chopped onion (I used yellow) to oil and sauté just until garlic and onion sweat.
  2. Meanwhile, sprinkle beef with a dash of black pepper (it doesn't really need salt because of the soy sauce).
  3. Add beef to wok, reduce heat to medium and sauté until done.
  4. Remove from heat and add broccoli to olive oil. 
  5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, cornstarch*, brown sugar, water, last bit of garlic and apple juice until smooth.  Pour into wok and add beef back to wok.  Cook until broccoli is tender and all ingredients are heated through.
  6. Serve over rice or Chinese noodles.  Enjoy!  

3 comments:

  1. Love your new haircut! You look fabulous! (I think you look more like your mom now.) I am trying to let mine grow out finally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Missy! Love the haircut :) You could shave your head and still be cute as a button!

    Love you,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel