Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gratituesday + What's for Dinner?


Playing along with the folks over at Heavenly Homemakers.

Can I just say, Nathan and I have the opportunity to teach some of the cutest kids on earth?  They are so precious.  Just this past Sunday, I was teaching on Christians being a light and how we should let our lights shine.  I was explaining to them how we have to work at keeping our lights bright; that we can’t just let them sit by idly.  

I went on to give the example that if I had a candle, lit it and left it at church all week and came back one week later how the candle wouldn’t be as bright as it was before.

I asked the kids, “Do you think the light would be as bright one week later?”  One of our girls answered, “Nope, it would probably burn the church down!”

I wanted to laugh, but I kept it in.  They are so smart, and it’s just such a joy to serve them.  I’m so thankful God uses little ole’ me to help teach them, encourage them and even learn from them.  Their innocence and excitement for God’s Word is something that I could use a little more of from time to time.



Monday I posted our menu plan for the week, and I wanted to share our first new recipe of the week—Minestrone Soup.  I found this in my Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook.  It’s another great 200-calorie per serving option and is packed with veggie goodness.

Minestrone Soup (taken from my BH&G Breast Cancer Cookbook)

Isn't it just so full of color??





Here’s what you’ll need:

  •  3 (14 oz.) cans of beef broth
  • 1 package frozen soup vegetables (the recipe called for 1 ½ cups, but we love veggies, so I dumped the whole bag in)
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz)can stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 oz. tomato paste
  • 11 ½ oz. vegetable juice
  • 1 TSP Italian seasoning
  • 2 c. cooked pasta, preferably medium sized macaroni shells
  • 2 c. fresh spinach, torn
  • 2 TSP sugar


Here’s how to make it: 

  1. Pour everything except cooked noodles, spinach and frozen veggies into a medium dutch oven or stockpot. 
  2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in separate pot.
  3. Heat soup mix to boiling, then add frozen veggies.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
  4. Add in cooked pasta and fresh spinach.  Cook for 5 more minutes or until heated through.  Serve hot topped with shredded parmesan cheese, if you like.
**I made this ahead of time the night before and just added in the pasta and spinach before serving.  It turned out yummy, and very filling!  Definitely a keeper.

2 comments:

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel