Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Drowning

I’m still reading through Rte 365 (a yearly Bible reading program), and can I just say, reading about the Israelite’s drives me bananas!  How did God put up with them?  Seriously.  I thought they were pretty bad way back in Exodus when they kept grumbling, “We’re tired, we’re hungry, we’re thirsty” but I haven’t even been reading in Exodus y’all.  I had no idea this Israelite drama kept on going through Judges and even into the Samuels.  At times I’ve wished I could just reach my foot right through the Word and give them a swift kick in the rear!

But you know what?  As I’m reading and feeling frustrated by their lack of faith in God, grumbling and half-hearted spirituality, a tiny voice inside me whispers that I’m not much better than they are.  My prideful self wants to just pipe up and say, “Oh, but God, I am much better” but I know that’s a flat out lie.

Have I ever prayed to God only when I need something?
How many times have I been ungrateful for all that He’s given me? (ouch!)
When have I put my faith in something or someone other than God?
Have I ever used God as a “good luck charm?”

Once I hashed these around in my little brain, I felt sick.  Although I strive not to live the life of an Israelite, I sure have acted like one from time to time.  In fact, when I think back into my past . . . there are years where I spent treading around like a little ole’ ungrateful, middle-of-the-fence Israelite.  

And the funny thing is, God still loved me.  That’s right—little ole’ ugly, ungrateful me!  And He still loved the Israelites.  And He still loves you.  It blows my mind, but it’s true.  I’m reminded of my favorite line in David Crowder’s new song, How He Loves Us . . . “If His grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.”  Hallelujah!  Tie a weight to my foot and push me in!


"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." 
-- Lamentations 3:21-23

3 comments:

  1. Amen, my friend! The beauty is that God still loves the Israelites during their whining, and he still loves me and you too! We have a glorious Father.

    And, I do love that you mentioned Crowder in this post -- he helps put everything into perspective (I'm listening to his new CD right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree - thank you, God, for being patient -

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel