Friday, February 12, 2010

Blackened Chicken Salad

Last night I cooked up a new recipe, and it just so happened that it turned out really good (you never know which direction new recipes could go).  Since we enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd share it with you . . . 

I've never attempted to make my own blackening spice for Blackened Chicken, but this turned out to be a great combination of spices.  I'll definitely be using this over, and over again.

Blackened Chicken Salad (adapted from Mille @ RecipeZaar.com--click here to see her full recipe)

There were a few ingredients that Mille's recipe called for that I didn't have on hand, so I just left them out.  Here's what I did:
  • 1 TSP of the following spices: basil, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, kosher salt, onion flakes, paprika
  • 2 TSP cayenne pepper
Here's how it turned out . . . 

This makes a nice sized batch of blackening seasoning, so I took 3 small chicken breasts and sprinkled the chicken on both sides with the seasoning. I didn't use all of the seasoning, but just enough to coat the chicken really well.

**Note to self: Never,  ever sniff cayenne pepper because you "want to see what it smells like."  My nose hairs were singed right off for about half an hour after making this stuff.

Moving on.  

I put the chicken in an airtight container and left it in the refrigerator overnight.  Then, after work the next day, I drizzled about 1 TBSP olive oil in a skillet and grilled the chicken.  Diced it, and put it on top of a hearty salad complete with broccoli, carrots, celery and lettuce.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel