Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's For Dinner? Chicken Tortilla Soup


So far, the New Year has kicked off to a great start around here in the Atwood house.  I am feeling uber-organized, we've got house projects lined up and ready to go and our workout regimen is underway and we're actually sticking to it!  We're also following through with our 2010 goals and trying to eat healthier (minus all of the overeating that took place this weekend on our mini vacation).
 

Since we've decided to eat better and be more organized, I've been flipping through my cookbooks and have actually planned our meals for the next 2 weeks! :)  I'm so excited to have it all planned out, and it makes things a lot easier.  I know a lot of foodie bloggers post "Menu Plan Monday," and I hope to participate in that next week, but this week since I'm running late I just decided to post what we'll be having for the remainder of the week (just because I'm so excited to have it organized):

Tonight: Chicken Tortilla Soup (recipe and photos below)
Thursday: Mini Lasagna, Salad and Garlic Toast  
Friday: Date night!  (I think Nathan might grill steaks for us) And, we're painting the kitchen and dining room!!
Saturday: Brunch--Farmers Market Casserole & Fruit
**Our breakfast's usually consist of cereal, oatmeal or waffles and our lunches consist of leftovers from the night before or sandwiches

Chicken Tortilla Soup--taken from my All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook




The best part--only 252 calories per serving!

  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
  • 2 cans chicken broth (I used reduced-sodium)
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 TBSP cumin
  • 2 TBSP cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro)
  • 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I tried Italian style and those worked great!) OR you could use 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes (undrained, chopped)
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 10 corn tortillas, chopped into 1 inch pieces, optional
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 Avocados, optional
  • Shredded cheese, optional
**For Crock Pot instructions, see below.
  1. When chicken is thawed, cut into bite-sized pieces.  Sprinkle with salt and 1/2 TSP pepper.
  2. Heat 2 TBSP of Olive Oil in pan and add chicken pieces.  Cook through.
  3. Meanwhile, chop 4 of the corn tortillas into 1-inch pieces.  Add tortilla pieces, with onion and garlic to a large stockpot and heat on Medium until onions are tender.
  4. After the onions are tender, add cooked chicken, broth, cilantro, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, cumin and bay leaf to stockpot.  Stir and heat to boiling.  Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 additional minutes.
  5. Chop additional corn tortillas and use as topping for the soup.  You can also serve topped with shredded cheese, avacado and sour cream.
**I recently tried this recipe using my Crock Pot and it turned out delicious!  Saute your onions and garlic in olive oil before putting them in the Crock Pot.  Throw everything else in the Crock Pot, then throw your sauteed onions and garlic in.  Cook on LOW for 8+ hours.  Before eating, take chicken out and shred it.  Place back in Crock Pot and stir.  Let heat through and serve! 

2 comments:

  1. Way to Go - you hit the ground running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that soup looks great! if I could only convince my hubby he likes cuisine like this....

    I'm excited that you're jumping in to menu plan :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel